VHT Ultralead vs. Egnator Mod 50 vs. Cobra

Rayneman

• Members

Does anyone have any experience with an Egnator MOD 50 head? I know there's quite a few different modules available.

I have a nice Ultralead that I'm thinking about trading for something different. Two of the more interesting trades that have been offered are the Egnator MOD 50 with whatever 2 modules I'd like, and (actually two offers) a Framus Cobra.

I know little to nothing about the Egnators, there are a few youtube videos, one esp. from the store Indoor Storm where all the modules are demoed, but the player isn't (IMO) playing stuff that would really give someone an idea what the higher gain modules can do.

The Cobra, people here seem to like them, but I am not finding much that realyl displays what the amp can do.

I want to trade the UL for a Revision Blue Uberschall (had a Rev 2), but nobody seems interested at the moment.

Therefore, I am coming to you, HCAF, for any informed opinions on these amps. I have a few higher end amps and I'd like to try another, but I am starting to think I might be better off keeping the UL if I don't find exactly what I'm looking for (Uber Blue). What say ye?

• Members

Ahhh, poop on you. If i had know this, i'd have traded my Cobra for your UL. I do have an FJA 5150 that i'm picking up today though...and it's probably going to rock my ass off :rawk:

Anyways, this is a clip i watch a lot...to show how awesome the cobra can get. It's from Chrisjd

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

However, my vote would go to keeping the VHT. Please note that I'm a little biased towards the VHT's though. I'm in the process of securing a new job, and saving up for a UL or CLX head.

For me, the VHT's can sound a little dry and stiff at lower volumes like other people describe them...but the magic is when you turn them up. At least in the high gain application, the VHT's are not fizzy at all, and retain more clarity, and cut in the mix really well.

They also have more useable tones IMO, than any of the other high end heads with a ton of features. The EQ Equipped pittbulls can do fantastic tones on any end of the spectrum.

• Members

I have had both side by side.

VHT is stiff and extremely clear. Sounds very refined, tight, and overall a great sound.

Cobra IMO is a lot more raunchy with more authority in it's tone. It's bigger and meaner sounding. Just as tight, about as clear, and a little more saturated than the UL.

PS I would rather have the UL than the Uberschall.

• Members

I have been playing the {censored} out of amps lately. I can honestly tell you so far the best amps for the really heaviest of heavy metal that I've played are

1. Peavey 6505

2. Framus Cobra (must crank to appreciate)

3. Engl (Powerball, Savage 120, or SE. Great low volume sounding amps too!)

4. Rivera KR7 (If you've never considered it, check it out).

I couldn't afford a Diezel in my dreams so I didn't mention them, but they are amazing.

• Members

I couldn't afford a Diezel in my dreams so I didn't mention them, but they are amazing.

My two all time favs.

• Members

My two all time favs.

I know we dig the same tone(s) Chris. You MUST hear the Engl SE through that MA Afterburner with the 100/V30 X pattern. It seriously is the best rythem tone I think I've ever heard. Eric (Erock'r) has this set up. Ask him about it. Maybe he has some clips. Either way, the tone is spiritual. :lol:

I will post clips the SECOND I can.

• Members

I know we dig the same tone(s) Chris. You MUST hear the Engl SE through that MA Afterburner with the 100/V30 X pattern. It seriously is the best rythem tone I think I've ever heard. Eric (Erock'r) has this set up. Ask him about it. Maybe he has some clips. Either way, the tone is spiritual.
:lol:
I will post clips the SECOND I can.

Wow, how would you compare the SE to the 6505?

• Members

I have been playing the {censored} out of amps lately. I can honestly tell you so far the best amps for the really heaviest of heavy metal that I've played are

1. Peavey 6505

Thanks for the input. I currently own a Herbert, XTC, Triple Rec and the UL.

I've had Ubers, 5150s, SLOs, OD100s, Nitro/Quickrod, T-Verbs, MKIVs and in a moment of stupidity got rid of my K Tre. Even had a Powerball a couple of years ago but that was the only Engl I've tried.

I guess I'm on a quest to try every high gainer on the planet, but perhaps I'd be better off seeking a mental health care professional since it seems I eventually trade off amps that I really like!! :facepalm::lol:

• Members

Thanks for the input. I currently own a Herbert, XTC, Triple Rec and the UL.

I've had Ubers, 5150s, SLOs, OD100s, Nitro/Quickrod, T-Verbs, MKIVs and in a moment of stupidity got rid of my K Tre. Even had a Powerball a couple of years ago but that was the only Engl I've tried.

I guess I'm on a quest to try every high gainer on the planet, but perhaps I'd be better off seeking a mental health care professional since it seems I eventually trade off amps that I really like!!
:facepalm::lol:

I'm the same way, only I can't afford this habit. :facepalm::lol:

• Members

Wow, how would you compare the SE to the 6505?

The Engl SE beats it. The Engl is more controlled, focused, and re/defined. It's rythem tone is really tops in my book. It's one amp you can plug straight into and wow yourself into a six hour chugfest without even realizing how much time has past. Like sex with a super hot girl, or killer smack. :facepalm::lol:

Bugera should copy it. :idea:

• Members

The Engl SE beats it. The Engl is more controlled, focused, and re/defined. It's rythem tone is really tops in my book. It's one amp you can plug straight into and wow yourself into a six hour chugfest without even realizing how much time has past. Like sex with a super hot girl, or killer smack.

Bugera should copy it.
:idea:

Is the SE like the Blackmore?

• Members

1. Peavey 6505

If the SE beats the 6505 then why is the 6505 #1 on your list and the SE is only #3?

• Members

the egnater is gonna offer more tonally-

youll be able to run ANY output tube configuration you want..plus all the modules-eggies are 2 channels a normal and a B channel with higher gain voicing.

plus you can use all the standard randall modules...i own a modded 1086 and everyone i know thats been able to compare it to the highest gained eggie metal tone(EG5) preferred the 1086.

plus-

now theres complete custom modules getting made by the module modder Pete Turley, and a guy named Salvation in Czech...his modules are AMAZING..hes got "mandarin" modules i want to try..ones an orange AD voicing and the other is a rockerverb voicing...now hes working on some engl, diezel, and framus based modules..

amazing.

i say eggie or UL...the mod50 definitely holds its resale too..

• Members

The Engl SE beats it. The Engl is more controlled, focused, and re/defined. It's rythem tone is really tops in my book. It's one amp you can plug straight into and wow yourself into a six hour chugfest without even realizing how much time has past. Like sex with a super hot girl, or killer smack.

Bugera should copy it.
:idea:

nice, so you got it! Amazing setup with the Mills isn't it, the honeymoon has been lasting months for me. Still impressed everytime I fire it up. :thu:

I really liked my bias modded 5150, but the SE is on a different level. It should be though, at the price difference. If it wasn't, it would have been kicked it to the curb long ago. That would be my only knock on it, but it's an incredible amp otherwise.

• Members

I have the Egnater. I LOVE this amp, but I am currently in a cover band and need something that can do a bunch of different sounds.

I have the Vox and SL2 (hot rodded JCM800) modules. I can cover nearly anything tonally.

The good thing about the Mod 50 is you can use the Randall modules as well as the Egnaters. Anyway, I can't say enough about the amp, but then again I don't play Brootalz exclusively or anything.

• Members

Does anyone have any experience with an Egnator MOD 50 head? I know there's quite a few different modules available.

I have a nice Ultralead that I'm thinking about trading for something different. Two of the more interesting trades that have been offered are the Egnator MOD 50 with whatever 2 modules I'd like, and (actually two offers) a Framus Cobra.

I know little to nothing about the Egnators, there are a few youtube videos, one esp. from the store Indoor Storm where all the modules are demoed, but the player isn't (IMO) playing stuff that would really give someone an idea what the higher gain modules can do.

The Cobra, people here seem to like them, but I am not finding much that realyl displays what the amp can do.

I want to trade the UL for a Revision Blue Uberschall (had a Rev 2), but nobody seems interested at the moment.

Therefore, I am coming to you, HCAF, for any informed opinions on these amps. I have a few higher end amps and I'd like to try another, but I am starting to think I might be better off keeping the UL if I don't find exactly what I'm looking for (Uber Blue). What say ye?

How much for the UL?:)

Archived