Need help for first tube amp

Munchlaxatives

• Members

I was about to buy another guitar when I decided it's about time for me to replace my SS amp.

My budget is around $300 and I'm buying used. I've been thinking of the Peavey Valveking, but I figured I'd ask people who know this stuff first. For my budget, I assume a combo is what I'd be looking for.

I play 90's type rock and metal.

• Members

You could get this for $300 new:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Blackstar-HT-Series-HT5H-5W-Tube-Guitar-Amp-Head?sku=483560
Then you could use your existing speaker in your 112, provided you properly disconnect it from it's current amp. There's really not anything phenomenal at that price point. Most tube amps you could score for three bills would be a Valveking, or maybe a Crate VC30. The Valveking is nice, and will get heavy, but not brootz, the Crate is awesome for the price, but isn't even near what you're looking for, tone wise.
Of course, there's one day, eleven hours left on this one..
http://cgi.ebay.com/Peavey-ValveKing-112-MINT_W0QQitemZ330324974912QQihZ014QQcategoryZ10171QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

• Members

Id recommend a Crate palomino v16 it will probably cost around 180-250 theyre very nice amps and sound better than a classic 30 IMO, and if you have extra money change the speaker to like Vintage 39 not that the original sunds bad but it makes the amp sound even better.

• Members

As echoed by another here, the HT-5 could be, check that, is definitely a killer amp, and not just for a first tube amp. It's got genuine stack on full meltdown gain at reasonable levels. As well, it has a line out for use with headphones or to do direct recording. It also has an FX loop. The only drawback is the clean channel, as it has little headroom, so it won't get too loud before it starts breaking up on you. But honestly, if you can do better for under $400, go for it. It will do metal, and can get very brutal with an overdrive in front of it.
Alternately, you could spend $200 on a Blackstar HT Dual pedal, and get all the tone that is in the Blackstar head or combo in a pedal, and just put it in front of your existing amp. I mean, the Bandit will, if it's at least a 30 watt 12" amp, push alot of volume. So the HT Dual in front would give you all the tube tone of the Blackstar amp without the 5 watt amp behind it. It could be a compromise that will save you some dough & still get great tone until you can get a more serious amp. Check out some youtubes on the HT-5 to see if the tone gets heavy enough for you.

• Members

How much?

And I'm leaning towards a B-52

Well, what's your location? I was hoping to get $300 out of it, but then I'd have to throw shipping on top of that, but I might be able to make you a deal depending on how much it would cost to ship it. PM me if you are serious about it and I can send you some pics and we'll talk about it.

Archived