OT: Choosing a University, any adivce?

BadCompany89

• Members

Sorry I didn't get to this any earlier, I forgot.

Well this was my experience with frosh week...

all my friends went to Queens, McGill, Dalhousie, UWO, the works. So I was hearing all these crazy stories of ending up passed out in downtown Montreal, etc.

Over at watah-woo (as of course the asian population is about 35-40%) they were attempting to lead us through team building and friend making activities during the day that I remember doing when I worked as a camp counselor. It was basically a week of that, plus some nightly events that were kind of cool, I'll give them that (some chem and mech engineers designed a machine that distributed enormous volumes of bubbles throughout the entire courtyard of the student centre, and they had a bubble party) but basically everything was really dry (both with respects to interest level and alcohol content).

the operating budget was pretty big, as everything it seemed involved huge sound installations and lasers. lots of lasers. because who doesn't love lasers?

Haha, that doesn't sound like a frosh week at all.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
It seems like a lot of you guys are mentioning the possibility of going to a grad school for a masters in engineering afterwards. I was considering doing this but despite one or two professors recommending it, not very many engineers seemed to think it was worthwhile. Has anyone here taken or known someone who has taken a Master's or PhD in engineering?

I have a Master of Architectural Engineering (Structures emphasis). I work at www.lera.com and all of their new engineers have graduate degrees. The graduate degree question really depends on your engineering discipline and anticipated career path. LERA does a lot of high-end engineering work, and they need people with extra training to handle that sort of thing. The firms that design parking garages and strip malls don't need engineers with graduate degrees.

Having said all of that, the extra education is more likely to help you than hurt you. In the long run, engineering is becoming more specialized and complex across the board. I think it's probably a good idea to seriously consider grad school and plan accordingly.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived