New song - for another singer

Surrealistic

• Members

We wrote this song for a local singer who's just starting out but who is already looking like she has a real chance of making something of a name for herself. She has an amazing voice - I'll post her version when we get around to recording it with her.

I like the song, but I'm wondering whether it needs more. It's pretty short and it doesn't have a real chorus as such. The singer in question really likes it - which is obviously the first hurdle from my point of view - but does it need more verses, a more obvious chorus or hook?

What do you think? Here's my quick demo - please a) take a listen and b) don't laugh at the bits where I go to falsetto :lol:

http://www.surrealisticpenguin.ryepress.com/music/Silhouette.mp3

Any thoughts appreciated.

• Members

I really liked it. I was trying to hear a female voice as I listened to it and I think it could sound great. Unless you need the song to be longer, I'm not even sure if it needs another verse or anything other than some way to wrap it up.

I know it's just a demo, but I also like the sparseness of this arrangement. I'm not sure what you have in mind for when you record it with her, but if she has an amazing voice, personally, I'd keep it as minimal as this and just let her voice carry it.

• Members

Thanks for listening - glad you like it. I totally agree that the final version should stay fairly minimal in terms of the arrangement. Her voice will definitely carry the song.

I don't think I need the song to be longer - in fact I keep telling myself that a lot of the old classic songs were short of 3 minutes long - but it's very unusual for me to write something that comes out so short.

Archived