Hooking up a PA poweramp to a guitar cab.

Soeru

• Members

I want to use this:

167d4b6ce43c884a5992e7d6347fd5c9.jpg

with a guitar preamp into this:

100002065l.jpg

They are compatible as far as impedance goes but the poweramp uses banana binding posts(never seen these inputs before) and the guitar cab uses 1/4". I can't seem to find a banana plug to 1/4" adapter/cable, is it possible to hook it up to my cab without butchering/soldering a speaker cable myself?

Also will it sound good? I'd be using a guitar modeling pre with it(with cab sims off, as I'd be using a real guitar cab).

• Members

• Members

Thanks for the replies.

Would using that same poweramp sound better than say a cheap class D amp like a crate power block as a poweramp?

how loud are you gonna need to push this thing?

if you're just playing around the house- it'd probably serve. but if you want tons of free and clear headroom for playing live-- i gotta agree with blade... it's gonna get pretty harsh if you're really turned up..

• Members

how loud are you gonna need to push this thing?

if you're just playing around the house- it'd probably serve. but if you want tons of free and clear headroom for playing live-- i gotta agree with blade... it's gonna get pretty harsh if you're really turned up..

Around the house and possibly in a band rehearsal situation but not live(if that were the case, the preamp I have has XLR outs). Would it sound good or should I spend a little more for a real guitar poweramp like a rocktron velocity(again I do NOT want a tube poweramp) or a used marshall valvestate 8008 poweramp?

Are SS guitar poweramps and PA poweramps equally as transparent?

QSC GX3 is overkill for my needs, plus I'd really like something that's only 1U.

• Members

i actually can't speak from experience in that regard-- but guitar amps are usually tailored to deliver power in the band that suits them best- whereas a PA amp would be kinda unnececessarily wide band, i'd think, as you'll never need the frequencies much above 6k, or below 60hz for a guitar.

i would probably think you could grab a used 8008 or a mosvalve guitar power amp for a song, and not ever have to sweat transparency!

• Members

i actually can't speak from experience in that regard-- but guitar amps are usually tailored to deliver power in the band that suits them best- whereas a PA amp would be kinda unnececessarily wide band, i'd think, as you'll never need the frequencies much above 6k, or below 60hz for a guitar.

i would probably think you could grab a used 8008 or a mosvalve guitar power amp for a song, and not ever have to sweat transparency!

And have 1/4" outs to boot!

Archived