new old track up

neanderpaul

• Members

"You best believe me" the first track in my profile here...

http://www.bandmix.com/neanderpaul/

I wrote this track when I was first playing bass in about 93/94. It was the first song I could play and sing at the same time. I re-recorded it in nov 09. The kids were asleep so EVERYTHING was played and sung super quiet. It had a couple of scars that prevented me from sharing it. I was able to edit one of them out so here it is.

As usual looking for feedback.

• Members

I can really hear the late night quiet aspect here... it lends a nice feel -- although I think I might roll just a little bottom out of my vocals if I were you, I think it would make them easier to make out. And I think, conversely, I'd maybe take just a little top off that d.i. sounding guitar. (Sorry to prattle about mix ish.)

I think the quiet approach gives it an attractive, confessional feel. I'll admit I couldn't follow the lyrics (EQ might help, as noted) but, hey, that's pop music for you. (I usually suggest folks post the lyrics somewhere if they're looking for lyric feedback; it's so easy to get things wrong, even when you think you can make them out. You know, like when you go to the record store looking for Herb Alpert's "The Sky's in Love with You.")

I like the smooth, 70s groove to it. Makes me think of some of Peter Green's post-Fleetwood Mac solo grooves from the late 70s or early 80s. Some nice hand percussion might be just the thing.

BTW, I got a smile out of the intro of "Tonight You Belong to Me" which came on as I was closing... it has a real Harry Nilsson feel. (I wasn't familiar with the 1926 song before, surprisingly.) Nice.

• Members

Thanks for the feedback. This song, "tonight you belong to me", and "shut up woman get on my horse" found on my profile.....

http://www.bandmix.com/neanderpaul/

...were all recorded in mono on my digitech jamman looper. So no mixing or real editing.

Lyrics for "you best believe me"

Well I don't know what you're about but you can't take me home tonight and

I won't hurt you or mislead you. You can believe my words are true.

You best believe me.

You best believe me.

Well I don't have a single doubt that, that you play for keeps if you can.

And I'm not squirelly for no reason and I I know that you're just teasin'

about your meanin' you've got you your reasons. I best believe it.

I don't know what you're about but you can't take me home tonight and

I won't hurt you or mislead you. You can believe my words are true.

You best believe me.

You best believe me.

You best believe me.

• Members

You looped a rendition of a 1926 song? That's hot.

I used to have a live loop act in the early 90s but it was mostly all ambient/electronica, but later some electro kinds of things when I brought a drum machine in to 'stir things up' -- but I think my drum machine actually led me away from what I was really doing, which was making (hopefully) dreamy, ambient electronica.

And most of the vocal work I ever did with live loops was impromptu/improvised. (Well, everything I did with loops was improv, actually.) But then, I only had eight seconds to work with on my first gen Jammans.

Archived