Tube Amp cuts out randomly. help please

thursdayvince08

• Members

Hi, I recently bought a used Hughes and Kettner Tube 50 and a couple weeks ago I changed the preamp tubes from really old stocks to electro harmonix 12ax7's and i also used dust off and sprayed off a lot of the circuit board and the slots where the preamp tubes go. Probably after 2 hours of play my amp started cutting in and out randomly about once every minute. It just fades out for probably .3 seconds or so. I am playing through an avatar vintage 2x12 cab loaded with warehouse speakers. ive tested all of my cables including the speaker cables and they are working fine. what do you think the problem could be? should i switch back to the old preamp tubes and see what happens? or could it possibly be my cab? i know thats probably not the case. so what else could be wrong with the amp? thanks for any help, I NEED IT! Oh also a side note. I recorded stuff with my amp with the xlr output for recording and it didnt cut out then. :confused:

• Members

I'm curious what the problem is, too.

Same as you, after about 1-2 hours it starts to cut out for a couple seconds at a time. I still get some sound, but it is barely audible and very muted sounding.

It's a Classic 30, but I haven't touched the tubes yet. They are about 5 years old, but I don't have very many hours on them but I have no idea about the previous owner's usage.

• Members

Could be tons of stuff. I woudl spray all the jacks and tube sockets with contact cleaner and push a cable/tubes (respectively) in and out a few times. That should rule out dirty jacks. Also, check the power tubes. Last weekend, I was doing some recording with my 6505 combo, and after maybe 3 minutes or so of the amp being on, it sounded like a thunder storm was coming through the amp, even with nothing plugged in. I had just replaced the tubes 3 days before that. I looked inside, thought one of the pre amp tubes wasnt glowing bright enough, changed it out...problem solved...when in doubt...check the tubes lol

• Members

Could be tons of stuff. I woudl spray all the jacks and tube sockets with contact cleaner and push a cable/tubes (respectively) in and out a few times. That should rule out dirty jacks. Also, check the power tubes. Last weekend, I was doing some recording with my 6505 combo, and after maybe 3 minutes or so of the amp being on, it sounded like a thunder storm was coming through the amp, even with nothing plugged in. I had just replaced the tubes 3 days before that. I looked inside, thought one of the pre amp tubes wasnt glowing bright enough, changed it out...problem solved...when in doubt...check the tubes lol

this, also check for a bad solder joint, this can happen when you take the tubes out.

Archived