Diezel VH4 VS. Herbert (Metal/Death Metal)

AJCGuitar

• Members

What are all of your thoughts on this?

I am deciding between the purchase of a Diezel Herbert or A Diezel VH4 I play music in the style of, Animosity, Death, Dying Fetus, Nile, Fear Factory (Demanufacture), Russian Circles. What do you folks think would be the amplifier of the two to purchase? I can only choose one. Or the third option would be to get a Marshall JCM 800 2203 and get it modded to the gills by Voodoo Amps.

• Members

I own both. Most people will say the Herbert for metal, but the VH4 does metal just as well - just isn't as scooped sounding as the Herbert with the mid-cut.

If you want a more saturation, a little sag, more modern, more hi-fi/processed sound, go with Herbert. If you want a super tight, less saturated, more organic sound, go with the VH4. Personally, I would take my VH4 over any other amp for any style.

• Members

It's been a trend on HCAF for quite a few years now to compare amps as if you were watching a boxing match.

Wait, comparing maps on the maps forum? wtf is this shit? :freak:

:cop:

• Members

If you play in a 2 guitar band and need to cut through, I'd recommend the VH4. The response from the amp is also tighter, which I think would suit death metal better.

This. It can do Metal and much, much more. The VH4 really gives you a variety of tonal flexibility. :thu:

Herbert is a good choice as well, so it depends on what your really like. It's a win win either way.

• Members

I own both. Most people will say the Herbert for metal, but the VH4 does metal just as well - just isn't as scooped sounding as the Herbert with the mid-cut.

If you want a more saturation, a little sag, more modern, more hi-fi/processed sound, go with Herbert. If you want a super tight, less saturated, more organic sound, go with the VH4. Personally, I would take my VH4 over any other amp for any style.

I agree here...except: If you are specifically partial to the "death" genre, I STRONGLY suspect you will favor the Herbert. The VH4 can definately pull of metal, but is not exceptionally "brutal"...in the sense that the term is often used here at the board. If that's whay I'm going for, I almost always plug into the Herbert or my 5150 with an EMG loaded guitar. Just my opinion.

• Members

The Herbert -hands down.

I have literally done dozens (yes, honestly dozens) of comparison A/B of these

amps with different power tubes (6L6/EL34/KT77/6550/5881/6CA7/KT88/and the Herbert ALWAYS was way more aggressive and "in your face" more so than any VH4 or VH4S (stereo version).

If you want one, I am always dealing them. I only deal with the Herberts exclusively in the Diezel line as they are their best model.

I currently have three pieces ready to go -all with external bias and MINT.

$2,899 shipped for each.

• Members

hmmn, its kind of funny you recommend the same amps you're selling.

Lots of people on HCAF are like that, except they are usually more subtle and not as blatant about it lol.

HCAF is just advertising space for close to 50% of the forum population in one way or another, either directly or indirectly through their business relationships/affiliations.

• Members

This thread is relevant to my interests. I've been considering going Diezel but can't make up my mind whether I would prefer the Herbert or the VH4. I don't really need the four channels of the latter but the tight, middy distortion certainly seems appealing. Many of the Herbert videos and samples have way too much gain for my taste (making it sound a bit fizzy), but all the user descriptions I read suggest that it can really sound refined and tight. So maybe it's just the usual bad quality on YouTube and/or people not dialling in their amps in a good way or maxing out the gain.

• Members

This thread is relevant to my interests. I've been considering going Diezel but can't make up my mind whether I would prefer the Herbert or the VH4. I don't really need the four channels of the latter but the tight, middy distortion certainly seems appealing. Many of the Herbert videos and samples have way too much gain for my taste (making it sound a bit fizzy), but all the user descriptions I read suggest that it can really sound refined and tight. So maybe it's just the usual bad quality on YouTube and/or people not dialling in their amps in a good way or maxing out the gain.

The Herbert has Uber-Gain...But sounds absolutely fantastic at mid-gain settings. Fizzy? not unless you push the presence too hard.

It is definately a "refined" sounding amplifier. Tight? mmm...compared to what?

It's tighter than a Mesa Rectifier or any Bogner Uberschall that I have played. That being said, it's not as tight as the VHT amps that I have had or my Diezel VH4. In terms of "tightness", I would put it on par with the Peavey 5150 series amps. If you do a search under my screen name at this forum, you will find a very lenghthy post detailing a comparison of the VH4 and Herbert...Hope this helps.

Archived