New song. What is the worst part

gismo recording

• Members

Here's a new song of mine. This is the first time I've attempted to play drums on a recording and I need to know how bad it is. So please complete the poll to tell me what needs the most work. The song is here:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=4600&songID=8408797

Or go here and select the song "Explain":

http://www.myspace.com/gismo1

• Members

:-( The timing is a bit aummm UNIQUE! And the vocals are um... IN A CLASS BY THEMSELVES! And the lyrics are um... Well hang in there, we all get better with time.

Why try to play the drums live? Vs. midi? Where you have the power to edit the hell out of them and get them perfect? Then you can go back and play to that locked down track?

I tried to vote, but it would only let me choose one? I was going to choose, drums, singing, and songwriting.

• Members

Hi, Ken!

You've obviously put a lot of work into this song. And there are some pretty good elements here: the structure shows solid familiarity with the form, the chords have a good flow, lyrical structure and form follow satisfying conventions, there's some word play and a playful rhyme structure that help unify the song, and the melody has a pleasing lilt to it.

There are some problems with the performance, but you seem to suggest that you consider yourself a songwriter, first, so that shouldn't be too troubling -- it's hard to get a really good set of performances when you're doing everything yourself.

It's not really the purview of this forum to go much into performance or production issues, but, if I were you I think I'd consider working with on-the-grid rhythms (quantized, as with a typical drum machine or third party MIDI arrangement/loop). Working with really solid rhythms can really help you get into the rhythmic swing of things. Whereas, if one isn't really on top of their rhythmic game, doing the rhythmic foundation in free time can really make it hard to get the flow right. And if you start with, say, guitar, and then add in the drums, it can be a very similar situation unless you're really solid in your timing. I've been playing almost four decades (though it probably sounds more like about 5 or 6 years :D) and I almost always start out with a quantized rhythm if I know there's going to be a drum part. With regard to singing, most important right now, I think, is finding a comfortable pitch range for your vocals -- that's really key to getting a relaxed sound (your vocals on this sound a bit awkward, in part, I think, because of the range you're singing in) and it's also important in helping yourself develop more pitch control.

I think there's much effort in this you can be proud of, but there are also areas you need to work on, too. But we all have those. The important thing is really where you are in relation to where you're coming from and making sure that you keep up your good efforts in order to get ever closer to where you want to go!

:)

PS... I didn't 'vote' in the poll. In fact, when I saw it (it took me a while to get back around here), I was a little concerned that a poll looking for the worst part might invite quick or flippant answers. So much for trying to be creative and fun, huh? ;) Anyhow, welcome to the forum, I sure hope you'll stick around and offer up your own insights into others' work as well as getting feedback on your own future works. I can tell you have a lot to offer and hopefully we can reciprocate. ;)

PPS... I think that drill sergeant in Robby's avatar is taking over his personality! :DBut, one thing I've found, it's easy to get people to give you a few quick compliments -- but sometimes it can be pretty hard to get people to tell you what they really think is wrong. The first might boost one's ego for a few moments. But the latter can help push us into pushing ourself to make improvements in our craft that will last a lifetime and keep giving back. Sometimes, as Shakespeare said, 'tis kinder to be 'cruel.'

• Members

The performance isn't perfect but, Ken, I have to say, "Explain" really has a certain charm to me. I really like the changes.

I don't even know what it is...there is a melancholy that runs through the whole song that I can really hold onto.

Keep at it; there is a certain charm to this.

• Members

Hi gismo...The actual overall recorded pieces are not that far off...that is a lot of stuff to play and program...this had one area to me that stood out as needing work...the melody didn't seem to fit the music...it appeared to be written at different times and not well fitted together. Like the lyrics already exisisted and you filled in the music part...maybe...IDK... but for me the pieces didn't fit together. It is done all the time like that (seprate or together) but these seemed a bit unmarried. The other stuff comes with doing it a lot of times. I can't program or play drums. Anyway this is a good one to build on. Your close... Good Job!!

• Members

I REALLY like this song a LOT! It reminds me of the 60s or 70s somehow...yeah, the vocal...it's just not polished. It sounds as if some known singer/musician was just doing a really rough studio out-take, you know? It's not bad though at all. You're in tune...it just doesn't have polish and ZING or a professional quality (yet).

I LOVE the chord changes...I love it...just the style...the mood.

The timing of things seems messy, but this is fixed fairly easily I THINK. (I have this problem too, and also do everything myself. It's hard)

• Members

Not to beat the dead horse, but the timing right off the bat. Nothing's worse than starting a head bob and finding the bobbing to not match the music. The chorus is a lot easier to listen to than the verses IMO. A better performance would certainly help that.

What were you using (instrument/recording equip.) for the 'theme' phrase?

Gracie... I could fix your timing hun. But you'd have to spend some time here at Smiladon Studios... We guarentee satisfaction or your money back.

hey buddy, this isn't the forum for pick up lines :cop:

• Members

What blue2blue said makes good sense.

In what order did you record the tracks? The drums don't sound bad, and they're in time most of the time. I'm wondering if you recorded them after the other tracks. I've found (as b2b said) that when recording real drums, unless you're a very tight drummer, it helps to listen to a metronome while recording the drums, and make the drums the first track. Usually I would record to the metronome that's built into the multitrack recorder so that you can listen to it whilst recording the subsequent tracks too. Also, this allows you to re-record some drum parts later if needed, or even copy/paste over mistakes. When you record the next tracks, crank that metronome up loud in your headphones if you can.

About the vocals, it sounds like it's pretty high in your range, not that there's anything wrong with that. Neil Young gets by just fine singing out of his range. Have you tried the song in a lower key? It can make a huge difference in the vocals.

• Members

Thanks for all the very helpful info. Here's how I did it. I did use a click track and recorded the bass first with the click, then the piano, then the drums. I suppose I should have recorded the drums first, but I was afraid I'd lose track of where I was in the song if I didn't record either the bass or piano first. But when I recorded the drums, the click was probably too far in the background. I think I'll try it again in a lower key which should hopefully improve the vocals.

• Members

The drums sound extremely shaky to me. I haven't played drums in awhile, but when I was doing recording work for other bands, we would always record drums first to a click track; or to a rough guitar track that was played to a click track. If you had other instruments you recorded first, and you didn't record them to a metronome, and then you recorded drums, that will never work, imo, no matter how good of a drummer you are.

Hope this helps! -Jeff

Archived