Chordal Solo in the the style of SRV

• Members

Just a little solo recording I finished the other day. I don't normally write this kind of stuff so I'm reasonably pleased with it. It is a work in progress:

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9335419

I'll probably add some more double stop kind of fills to give it some more variation and add a short solo section. I don't want to make it too complicated or long. I've always loved SRVs Lenny and Riviera Paradise:

This is something of my own in the same style that I can play at gigs.

The hard part is to not get to jazzy and lose that Hendrick/SRV/Timmons rock/pop vibe. Not sure I've succeeded; but a little bit of double stop and single note stuff may help. It's very hard to play stuff like that and find something that hasn't already been done.

I came home from 2 months overseas and all the unwritten bits wrote themselves in about 30 minutes. Funny how that happens sometimes.

I quickly recorded it in Sound forge so I wouldn't forget what I'd written. It's a bit rough but I'll practice it and add a new version soon.

Strat Plus (area 58s) into Tech 21 Blonde, into Boss RV-5, direct into mixer and straight on to soundforge.

It was quite painful to play this, I lost all my calluses, OOOUUUCCCHHH!

I hope some of you like it.

• Members

This is really quite nice... Obviously, it's very spare. The sonic treatment works out quite well, in that respect. I have to say, though, that as soon as I heard that sweet little Hendrixian bit at the end, I wanted more of that back near the middle, with a little more exploration and development -- but not too much -- and where it would form a sort of emotional peak, I think; then you could drop back into the spare minimalism of the strummed part for an appropriate 'restatement' of the mood/theme and then out with just about that same little flurry. Or something.

Anyhow, very sweet.

:)

• Members

This is really quite nice... Obviously, it's very spare. The sonic treatment works out quite well, in that respect. I have to say, though, that as soon as I heard that sweet little Hendrixian bit at the end, I wanted more of that back near the middle, with a little more exploration and development -- but not too much -- and where it would form a sort of emotional peak, I think; then you could drop back into the spare minimalism of the strummed part for an appropriate 'restatement' of the mood/theme and then out with just about that same little flurry. Or something.

Anyhow, very sweet.

:)

Thanks for the input. This is exactly my thoughts on how this piece should evolve. Just a very non repetitive fills in the right place should create the desired dynamic.

Archived