Uberschall Tubes

Rayneman

• Members

Got a Rev Blue Uber on trade today. The EL34s on the right (if looking at the back of the amp) end up glowing bright red while the volume fluctuates and its making an odd humming noise.

I am hoping two of the tubes are shot. Of course I have plenty of 6L6s lying around but no damn EL34s.

I can't seem to find this on the Bogner site or forum, but to try and run the with two power tubes, which two can be pulled? The outer pair or inner pair to run at half power and half ohms?

Any idea on the tube pull?

Thanks!

• Members

{censored}.

I'm sorry, man. I checked out the Bogner before I shipped, and it sounded great.

Did the box look like it got banged around?

As far as pulling tubes, you can pull either the inner or outer pair.

The box looked ok, I will try pulling a pair, but no matter how I switch them around, the two on the right (toward the transformer) glow bright red right off of standby.

• Members

{censored}.

I'm sorry, man. I checked out the Bogner before I shipped, and it sounded great.

Did the box look like it got banged around?

As far as pulling tubes, you can pull either the inner or outer pair.

I dont think this is correct.

the tubes are paired 7&8 - 9&10. So if you wanted to pull two tubes for half power, you would pull either 7&8 or 9&10.

that is what i was told at the bogner forum by someone who called bogner about it.

• Members

the tubes are paired 7&8 - 9&10. So if you wanted to pull two tubes for half power, you would pull either 7&8 or 9&10.

that is what i was told at the bogner forum by someone who called bogner about it.

yep, I was told the same thing about the Bogner pairs.

• Members

Thanks a LOT for this.

I used 7&8 and the amp seems perfectly normal (for 50% power) , in fact, quite nice like I remember my Rev 2 to sound. I am not going near 9&10 though, I talked to Sixtonoize and he suggested the issue may be a resistor that was taken out by a tube that got fouled during shipping. I took the amp out of the shell and my untrained eye cannot see anything that looks burned or messed up though. However, I am going to stay away from the guts since I am by no means very technical and I'd rather not scorch my ass by touching something dangerous.

In any event, its encouraging since it appears the whole amp isn't screwed up. To a tech it shall go (once I find one!).

• Members

try the tubes you took out of 9/10 positions on 7/8

and then the 7/8 on 9/10

Now I am confused. Can a resistor be taken out by a tube that isn't "bad?" I have isolated and removed the two tubes that were originally in 9/10 that were glowing super red. If I take the "good" tubes that are in 7/8 AND that enable the amp to run seemingly ok, what would happen in put those in 9/10? Could that mess up those tubes?

I am tech-stupid.

Archived