I was watching expert village

Unreachable

• Members

I was watching expert village on how to change your tubes in your amp and I was watching a section on what type of replacement tubes to buy. The guy said that you have to buy the same model of pre and power tubes. Is this true? Sorry, I'm new to tubes, so I don't know everything about them.

• Members

Expert village very often doesn't have a clue what they're talking about.

That said, their statement on tubes is basically correct, though there are plenty of exceptions that their noob asses probably never got into.

• Members

NOT AT ALLLLLLL.... those people on "expert" village are {censored}ing halfwits.

You would want matching brand power tubes, (and type obviously). But experimenting with preamp tubes is part of the game, part of the fun.

You should use the same preamp tube TYPE that came in the amp too (which is what the OP is asking about, not brand). You can experiment a bit (like using a 12AU7 in a 12AX7 slot), but some will damage the amp, and most of the time it doesn't sound better than stock.

• Members
You should use the same preamp tube TYPE that came in the amp too (which is what the OP is asking about, not brand). You can experiment a bit (like using a 12AU7 in a 12AX7 slot), but some will damage the amp, and most of the time it doesn't sound better than stock.

sorry thats what i meant too.. staying in the 12aXX family :thu:

Archived