head & cabinet ohm question

gherb

• Members

Hi all,

I'm a newbie to head / cab setups, as I've only played combos for the 13 years of my guitar playing life....

I was wondering about altering my setup for amplification...

Can I safely run a 4 ohm head into a 16 ohm cabinet?

I'm looking to put my twin reverb head into an orange 4x12 cabinet...I want more crunch and volume out of my twin...I also want the flexibility of switching out different heads when I need them.

Please let me know!

Thanks!

• Members

On any give day there are at least three threads asking the same question. :facepalm:

No you can't.

A whole bunch of wrong answers applicable only to solid state amps are sure to follow.

More speakers does not necessarily mean more volume.

A whole bunch of wrong answers talking about "moving more are" are sure to follow as well.

• Members

Hi all,

I'm a newbie to head / cab setups, as I've only played combos for the 13 years of my guitar playing life....

I was wondering about altering my setup for amplification...

Can I safely run a 4 ohm head into a 16 ohm cabinet?

I'm looking to put my twin reverb head into an orange 4x12 cabinet...I want more crunch and volume out of my twin...I also want the flexibility of switching out different heads when I need them.

Please let me know!

Thanks!

No. Rewire the 4x12 to 4 ohms.

• Members

how would I rewire a cabinet? complex soldering?

I know that the cabinet wouldn't be much louder. I'm just looking to find a setup that is conducive to me switching out different heads w/ me having to have 5 different combos taking up a {censored}load of space

• Members

Always match the Ohms of your head to your cab.

The way you're suggesting, will ruin the Amp.

Ex. 4 ohm head/ 4 ohm cab... 8 ohm head/ 8 ohm cab

Most heads have a Ohm dial on the back allowing you to set it at 4, 8, & 16.

If you have 2 Cabs always divide the Cab ohms by Two then set your head to match. Ex. 2- 16 ohm cabs divide by 2 = 8

Set your head for 8 ohms.

Never exceed the Ohms of your head, A higher Ohm Cab will Damage your head permanently. Hope that helps :thu:

• Members

is there a way to alter the ohm output of a particular amp. My twin reverb used to be a combo amp...I recased it into a head unit for more flexibility. It is a 4 ohm output without selector switch, and I want to buy a cabinet that I can use with a great deal of other heads.... One that I can switch quite a few heads into...Like: An orange head, vox, and my fender....maybe a sunn beta bass.

• Members

is there a way to alter the ohm output of a particular amp. My twin reverb used to be a combo amp...I recased it into a head unit for more flexibility. It is a 4 ohm output without selector switch, and I want to buy a cabinet that I can use with a great deal of other heads.... One that I can switch quite a few heads into...Like: An orange head, vox, and my fender....maybe a sunn beta bass.

Some Marshall cabinets can run all 4 speakers at either 4 or 16 ohms, or two of the speakers at 8 ohms. That's about as flexible as you can get in a cabinet.

Alternatively, there's this.

Archived