Instrumental Guitar track

renips

• Members

Introducing the HCSWF Robo-Greeter Beta...

f6yqpfoX0E4

Text version:

First a big, friendly cut-n-paste welcome to the Songwriting Forum!

The basic mission of the forum is the discussion of the art and craft of songwriting and offering assistance with feedback and constructive criticism on works in progress. Of course, giving thoughtful comment requires some time and energy. You'll probably want to look at the Rules and Resources sticky thread for guidelines on getting the most out of the forum.

Like so much in life -- what you get out of it will likely depend on what you put in...

I hope you'll share your insight with others when they're looking for critiques -- it's a great way to let people get to know you. And the more that people know you as someone who is willing to help out, the more eager they'll be to help you when you're looking for some good ol' constructive crit.

:)

blue2blue

moderator, songwriting forum

SW Forum Guidelines and Resources

I listened to "Sweet Serenity" a couple times.

Guitar instrumentals present such an interesting set of challenges. You need to create an identity for the song, decide on the scope and nature of the composition (long, short, evolving, cyclic) as well as the philosophy behind the soloist's part if, like so many, it's built on a sort of mini-concerto format.

I felt like the part that was potentially most engaging was the main, thematic part. That's where the identity of the song is created and the takeaway feel generated. The other guitar part does ok at both introducing a gathering density to the music the first time around and, the second, gives us a breather, a little space between the heavier melodic sections. However, I wasn't sure the transitions between sections felt organic to me, more like one stopped and the other started. With a different approach, that gap might feel breached by the development of the music on either side, but that didn't really happen here. Another minor qualm I had was the drum scoring (dare we call it programming? ;) ) As a guitarist, myself, who is sensitive about using drum machines instead of a real human drummer as the gods probably intended, I mention this with some trepidation, but I really got the feeling I was listening to a drum part created by a guitarist. I've been programming drum machines for a quarter century, but I have to admit, it took me a good long while before I stopped overwriting my parts. I like a lot of the rhythmic ideas there, but it doesn't sound, as they say, very drummerly. It sounds pretty busy, but I suspect it could be improved if you were to work with the dynamics to turn some of that busy-ness into ghost beats, those just barely there beats that soften syncopation into something sexy. Like I said, a lot of cool ideas they just need to be eased into the background a little, make things feel a little more elemental, a little more muted, and more varied to give a more human, open feel.

:)

Archived