It is done! The amp forum metal compilation CD. Check it out

thefyn

• Members

Still no more sales.

I think it is time to face facts that we are not going to sell many more copies.

We don't have enough $$$ to follow through with the rest of the plan.

As I see it we have 2 choices:

1: We should just send the 50 CDs to reviewers only. Pros: Favorable reviews and a link to our sales site could generate $$$ for the full press packs. And public interest from the standout bands on the disk they may mention. Plus it will be good to see the forumites in print.

2: Hail Mary. Just send 50 CD's to record labels and that is it. Pros small chance one of the bands will get follow up interest. Cons. No way to generate money for a more of a mass mailing. (I wanted to send 500-1000 out not 50)

What do you think? I am feeling more love from option 1.

why not do half and half?

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't want to water down something already pretty feeble in the first place.

But that is just my opinion.

Honestly, 50 reviewers is a lot. I think it'd be fine to send 25 to reviewers and 25 to smaller labels.

We should look and see how many smaller labels we can find that'd accept the CD, and then look to see how many magazines/weblogs/whatever that are worth sending a CD to, and see what to do from their.

• Members

Honestly, 50 reviewers is a lot. I think it'd be fine to send 25 to reviewers and 25 to smaller labels.

We should look and see how many smaller labels we can find that'd accept the CD, and then look to see how many magazines/weblogs/whatever that are worth sending a CD to, and see what to do from their.

A lot of weblogs etc can get an E-Press pack.

I'm up for doing 50/50 if everyone else is.

• Members

I think a 25/25 split would cover a lot of ground, considering the desired outcome. It would also be worth finding out which bands (if any) have already submitted material to labels that is also included on the compilation, if they've submitted to reviewers that resulted in actual reviews, and so on.

• Members

In all honesty, I JUST got my cd, so I haven't had a chance to shop it around yet. I almost think that calling it dead is a bit premature.

We haven't sold a CD for over 2 weeks. I'm not calling it dead, I just imagined we could send out more physical press packs. The e packs should not be a problem. Looks like we will have to do the vast majority via online methods of distribution as paying for bandwidth is a lot cheaper than paying for Physical CD printing, glossy press packs and postage costs.

• Members

We haven't sold a CD for over 2 weeks. I'm not calling it dead, I just imagined we could send out more physical press packs. The e packs should not be a problem. Looks like we will have to do the vast majority via online methods of distribution as paying for bandwidth is a lot cheaper than paying for Physical CD printing, glossy press packs and postage costs.

Well I can't argue that. Since it's a compilation I imagine that it's kinda tough trying to sell it without a distributor putting it out where your average folks could find it.

• Members

Well I can't argue that. Since it's a compilation I imagine that it's kinda tough trying to sell it without a distributor putting it out where your average folks could find it.

That was the point. I was hoping we could make enough money to put it in the hands of lots of reviewers from CD sales. That way, if they love it and the concept, they recommend the masses to buy etc. Or at least plug their fav band on it for clicks and exposure.

I got the check today from the sales we did get. The CD will be unavailable in the near future as kunaki bumps CD's that don't sell.

The writer of our press release got in touch with me recently so that is the next step. So suggestions on exactly where we send the CD both reviews and labels are welcomed.:thu::thu::thu:

• Members

Considering the fairly diverse types of music represented, I'd suggest a label like The End Records for one, as they deal in all kinds of metal and some other genres. They also do distribution for bands not on their label. On the more indie end of the spectrum is Open Grave. I get all kinds of "$5 CD SALE!!!" bulletins from them on MySpace, and they may not have much retail or promotional presence, but being so focused on online sales, they might be a good choice for a compilation of forum members.

As far as CD sales are concerned, I think the price is hurting sales. I understand the reason for using Kunaki, and their cost-per-disc is very reasonable on the manufacturing side, but most people expect to buy compilations for a couple bucks. I can't offer a great alternative myself, but if there was a better avenue for selling comps at around $5 or so (with shipping?) it might generate a lot more sales.

• Members

I think it is a great idea, but I'm not sure a mass-mailing is going to help. Labels and similar entities get stuff like this all the time and they can't LEGALLY listen to them. Most are thrown away. The best thing to do, IMHO, would be to hire someone to represent the body of work collectively. You would have a much better shot at getting those CDs into the hands of the people that you want to.

Your heart is in the right place, and the music is great. Just thought I'd throw in my $.02.

• Members

I think it is a great idea, but I'm not sure a mass-mailing is going to help. Labels and similar entities get stuff like this all the time and they can't LEGALLY listen to them. Most are thrown away. The best thing to do, IMHO, would be to hire someone to represent the body of work collectively. You would have a much better shot at getting those CDs into the hands of the people that you want to.

Your heart is in the right place, and the music is great. Just thought I'd throw in my $.02.

We only have $250 or so. So that is out. Whatever we do with the money, it is obviously not going to work because we won't make a dent.

I say we use it to buy as many CD's as we can, say around 35 and have them sent to the metal radio stations all around the world.

Spread the tunes to every corner of the globe and hope it get played.

Bruce Dickinson DJs the Friday night rock show on BBC radio etc.

If we can find 35 of the equiv shows all over the world, I think it will be worthwhile.

I'm not saying little pod casts etc because that can be done with MP3's. I am talking about large area, metal hour type radio stations.

• Members

We only have $250 or so. So that is out. Whatever we do with the money, it is obviously not going to work because we won't make a dent.

I say we use it to buy as many CD's as we can, say around 35 and have them sent to the metal radio stations all around the world.

Spread the tunes to every corner of the globe and hope it get played.

Bruce Dickinson DJs the Friday night rock show on BBC radio etc.

If we can find 35 of the equiv shows all over the world, I think it will be worthwhile.

I'm not saying little pod casts etc because that can be done with MP3's. I am talking about large area, metal hour type radio stations.

Ian Christy on Liquid Metal at sirius/XM

• Members

List is going slow.

I did however get my hands on a&r depts for the record labels as well as contact names etc etc etc.

I am going to send out as many CDs as I can until the money runs out.

No more talking etc. Time for action.

Get her done!!!!

Next step, online attack.

• Members

Finally got a working internet connection again.. And I wish I had one so I could have vocalized my opinion that trying to sell this disc and sending it out is not really a good option anymore.. As much as I still want to have a disc in my possession, the fact is the game has changed and you have to go online(since thats how the kiddies listen to music nowadays).. With that said, online reviews generally generate next to nothing... Over the years I have had countless reviews online and it did nothing.. All the reviews I got in print paper mags, I always got snail mail and money requesting discs, so in my opinion it was always a more successful venture.... But now there arent many mags even out there anymore, is there? I recently heard Metal Maniacs isnt doing print anymore or just closed completely..?

So I'm not surprised the disc didnt sell and hopefully you didnt lose too much coin on this.. But anyway I would send out a press pack to whatever print mags are still around.. I think I only know of Pit.. :lol: But there has to be a few more.. I think sending it to labels might be a waste of time and money.. There are a few online webzines that might still be worthwhile, but honestly, I've lost interest in spreading music in that way I don't even bother anymore...

Archived