Decided to brush up on my sweeping

frtbzz

• Members
Not necessarily. I think it's more that when people are learning to sweep, they're using the same kind of exercises that everyone uses. And then once they've got it down, they don't really bother to experiment much with it.

There's plenty you can do with sweeping that isn't the typical shredder up and down through arpeggios. For starters, there's nothing about sweep picking that says you
have
to be playing arpeggios.
:idk:

thats what I mean. Most of the cool "sweeps" I like dont really sound like the neo-classical sweeps. Look at all these jazz cats. Lots of them "sweep" but it just one 1-3-5 :)

• Members

I have the opening to Paul Gilberts "Get out of My Yard" arranged for sweeping. It is a great sweeping exercise because it uses different shapes and alternates between 3 and 5 string sweeps. PM me if you want it. I can e-mail it to you all.

Alternating the number of strings you go thru on an arpeggio, maybe tossing in a legato snippet or tap or tap/slide and lots of position shifting...

• Members
Not necessarily. I think it's more that when people are learning to sweep, they're using the same kind of exercises that everyone uses. And then once they've got it down, they don't really bother to experiment much with it.

There's plenty you can do with sweeping that isn't the typical shredder up and down through arpeggios. For starters, there's nothing about sweep picking that says you
have
to be playing arpeggios.
:idk:

Very well put :love::thu:

The difficulty with sweeping and not sounding like a lame neo-arpegamadoodle-wanker is that the extra embellishments require a lot of dexterity/coordination, like Frank Gambel's economy picking approach to pentatonics (313313 tech) or just adding in hammers or slides (or multi finger taps at the top of the arps) to break up the vanilla 1-3-5 arps. In Zucker's Sheets of Sound, there are some baddassed ways sequencing pentatonics using economy picking, a lot of those exercises sounds really hip and the book is definitely worth the price :love:

• Members
More this. Especially integrating it with other techniques.

Definitely this too. I never do any runs that are just sweep after sweep, with big 5-string arps or whatever. I probably couldn't even do it well at all anymore, seeing as I never use it. What I do tend to do is chain a few together with other legato bits in between and such.

Unfortunately sweeping is often just associated with the standard shredder type of stuff, whereas really it's just another technique to open up other ways to move around on the guitar. :idk:

Archived