Marshall 1960A/Peavey Valveking Wiring Question

Syyle

• Members

So this cabinet has 4 16ohm speakers. If it's wired in parallel/mono my total ohm impedance is 4 ohms correct? Therefore I should set my amp head to 4 ohms, right?

BUT, what if my cabinet isn't wired for parallel? How do I know by looking at it if it's wired in parallel? If it's not, and it's wired in series, does my ohms impedance change?

I know questions like this get asked a lot...just hoping for a quick "don't worry about it, turn the cab to 4 ohms/mono, turn the amp head to 4 ohms and rock the {censored} out."

• Members

another thought. until i figure things out exactly, the safest bet would be to set the amp head at 4 ohms and plug into the mono 4 ohm cab input; nothing could be damaged in this way right?

• Members

another thought. until i figure things out exactly, the safest bet would be to set the amp head at 4 ohms and plug into the mono 4 ohm cab input; nothing could be damaged in this way right?

If the cabinet isn't 4ohms (say it's 8ohms or 16ohms for example) plugging into the 4ohms on the amp could damage the output transformer and tubes. That is costly to fix. Until you know exactly what the ohmage of the cabinet is, I wouldn't do it bro.

• Members

the pic i posted here is the guts of my actual cabinet. all speakers are 16ohms, is there any way to tell from the pic whether it's in series or parallel? or does it really matter considering they are all 16 ohm speakers? from the usage i have put into the cab, i know all 4 speakers work, and work appropriately when i switch between stereo and mono (when in mono, all 4 have sound, when in stereo, either left side or right side creates sound depending on what side of the input jack i am plugged into).

• Members

that's 8ohms each side in stereo.

it's tough to see, but look above the jacks on that image (in the shadows), it says 4 ohms mono left jack, 16ohms mono right jack.

i checked out this wiring diagram. and the wiring in my cab doesn't match any of the upper diagrams (mono parallel, mono series, mono series/parallel).

I don't want to over think this either; but I bought the cab used and I am not sure if it's been tinkered with.

• Members

what it looks like from my picture is this: both top speakers are accepting a single (+) and (-) from the jacks, and then the top two speakers receive a single (+) and (-) from the bottom speakers. My bottom 2 speakers don't receive anything from the jacks.

I can't find any diagram on that site I linked that shows this set up...

• Members

any thoughts? it seems like someone could easily help me out here by glancing at the picture.

i am really interested in doing the work here and figuring this out on my own, but from all the searching on the internet, i just can't find an image to match my set up...I think the stereo option of this cab is throwing things off.

• Members

Bro seriously, it's 8ohms stereo and mono. Just trust me on that one. The only way it would be 4ohms is if you had a seperate 8ohms cab you were going to run at the same time with your amp. Seriously someone else back me up on this :/

• Members

i trust you, but you do see the mono information in the shadows above the jacks in that picture?

i think the least risky thing is to run the cab in stereo at 8ohms like you're saying.

Archived