OT: If I buy a new computer now....

Chrisjd

• Members

That comes with vista, would I have to completely wipe it clean to install the free update I could get to windows 7?

I debating on whether to upgrade now or later. I don't like the idea of personalizing a new computer with all my files only to change os's a few months later.

any bennefit to getting a new computer pre-loaded with 7 on it?

• Members

Backup your data just to be safe. Everyone should backup their computer regularly anyway. I'm trying to hold out on buying a new comp until USB 3.0 comes out.

Is that going to transfer data faster? when is it being released?

• Members

Get a Mac and don't worry about all the Windows BS ever again.

I want a mac, but I would have to spend $1500.00 to get the screen size and hardrive i want.

The dual core HP notebook with 250 gigs and a 15 screen with 4mb of ram is on sale for $399.00

you do the math.

• Members

That comes with vista, would I have to completely wipe it clean to install the free update I could get to windows 7?

I debating on whether to upgrade now or later. I don't like the idea of personalizing a new computer with all my files only to change os's a few months later.

any bennefit to getting a new computer pre-loaded with 7 on it?

Hi Chris!!

Hey, if you can wait until Oct. 22 Windows 7 will come stock on computers. My first bit of advice would be to wait that out (reason being, clean installs with hardware designed to RUN natively on Windows 7 = WIN). If you can't, all new computers come with a "Windows 7" upgrade coupon and have since June 26th.

Problem = you will wait, in some cases, A LONG TIME to get that sucker/upgrade disk in the mail. You're almost better off just buying a copy at a store on the 10/22. Hope this advice helps. Good to see you!

EDIT: FWIW I just bought a new laptop and it had Windows Vista 64 on it, I UPGRADED (just put in the Windows 7 disk and let it do its thing OVER Vista) and everything is working just fine, so getting just the upgrade and leaving your files seems to be ok this time)

Ultimately, I stand by my original advice, TRY to hold off until Windows 7 comes pre loaded on your new 'puter if possible.

• Members

Hi Chris!!

Hey, if you can wait until Oct. 22 Windows 7 will come stock on computers. My first bit of advice would be to wait that out (reason being, clean installs with hardware designed to RUN natively on Windows 7 = WIN). If you can't, all new computers come with a "Windows 7" upgrade coupon and have since June 26th.

Problem = you will wait, in some cases, A LONG TIME to get that sucker/upgrade disk in the mail. You're almost better off just buying a copy at a store on the 10/22. Hope this advice helps. Good to see you!

Good to hear from you too man!

Yeah I don't NEED one right now, but this deal seems really, really good. if it is an easy update with no bennefit of waiting for the preloaded copy, i don't care too much.

• Members

Good to hear from you too man!

Yeah I don't NEED one right now, but this deal seems really, really good. if it is an easy update with no bennefit of waiting for the preloaded copy, i don't care too much.

If you don't mind waiting a couple of months for your Windows 7 upgrade disk to show up in the mail. Get it now. :thu:

• Members

I want a mac, but I would have to spend $1500.00 to get the screen size and hardrive i want.

The dual core HP notebook with 250 gigs and a 15 screen with 4mb of ram is on sale for $399.00

you do the math.

Yeah. That's a good deal. I'm waiting till the 7 is available to get a clean install rather than an upgrade. Then I'm gonna buy another laptop. I really don't need a macbook for my wife since all she does is do e-mail and internet. Hell at $399, I could just give it to my 5 year old when the new windows comes out and get a better computer for my wife. My curent laptop is pretty old and slow so it is frustrating.

My desktop is an iMac and I will say it was well worth the extra $ I spent on it compared to buying a Windows PC - and I still can run windows XP on it anyway.

Archived