Must learn to play Jazz by Thursday, suggestions?

Crunchtime

• Members

I got this guy working on my Les Paul's frets. I am picking it up on Thursday.

I went to his house to meet him and discuss what I needed done to my Les. He has a Flexi 50 in the corner of his workshop/basement. He says" Lets plug it in."

I say, " OK."

He plays some cool jazz riffs and hands me the guitar.

Being a Metalz, Brootz, SRV rip off I fake my best non brootz riffs for a minute and pass it back.

Later, when it is decided I will pick the Les up on Thursday, he suggests we have a jam session.

I say, " Cool, lets do it."

I need a crash course in jazz guitar. What internet resource will teach me enough by Thursday to fake my way through this jam?

• Members

jazz takes a lifetime buddy. advice: play the blues instead. jazz players love blues and you can play it your way. if he plays some jazz stuff that you like then ask him to show you... and if he likes some rock stuff you do then show him. be yourself. don't try to be everything to everybody.

there are good lessons at www.wholenote.com tho

• Members
jazz takes a lifetime buddy. advice: play the blues instead. jazz players love blues and you can play it your way. if he plays some jazz stuff that you like then ask him to show you... and if he likes some rock stuff you do then show him. be yourself. don't try to be everything to everybody.

there are good lessons at
www.wholenote.com
tho

Thanks, that's probably the best advice I could hear. I'm sure I will sound better playing the stuff I am comfortable with.

• Members

Thanks, that's probably the best advice I could hear. I'm sure I will sound better playing the stuff I am comfortable with.

yea man. i went to a JAZZ school and thought i could play some jazz till i got there. i just learned that i'm not a jazz player and have no desire to be one. I love me some metheny and martino and wes, etc... but that's not me. I love country swing and wish i had more time to shed on some chet but i'd kill myself if i had to sit down with scofield records all day.

when i jam i want to pick up some different stuff from who i jam with...

Archived