Beginner amp for son

iamjethro

• Members

I have not bought a new amp in ages. My son is wanting to learn guitar. He will probably play the usual 13 year old favs. What is a good, inexpensive amp for him to purchase. We have looked at the following so far:

Peavey Vypyr 15

Line 6 Spyder 15

Raven RG20

Fender Frontman 15

etc.

Any comments?

• Members

He might use my amps for a while, but he will eventually want someting in his room. I am probably leaning to the Peavey, but am interested in the cube also. Just never heard one in person and 5 inch speaker and having to buy an extra power cord seems a little iffy.

• Members

Vox DA5. Lots of effects and (digitally) modelled amp types that give a wide range of guitar amp sounds. Can plug his mp3 into it and play along as well has a headphone jack. Takes "C" batteries as well so he can play along in the van on family road trips AND take into the hotel room with him. Very portable. Had one. Since traded up to the Tonelab LE but was a great start amp for my son ... and was cool for me too.

• Members
He might use my amps for a while, but he will eventually want someting in his room. I am probably leaning to the Peavey, but am interested in the cube also. Just never heard one in person and 5 inch speaker and having to buy an extra power cord seems a little iffy.

Can't you just put one of yours in his room?

Then you can buy yourself new gear :idea:

• Members

Probably the route I will go Just wondering if I was missing something. And my money always seems to go to buying stuff for him or wife or house. New amps come far between. But I am satisfied with what I have for me. Too LOUD for him to put it in the house where wife has to hear it while she is doing other stuff though. She already says his practicing the baritone for school band sound like a moose in the house.

• Members

I'd go with the Peavey, Second choice is the Vox Valtronics, I've heard about more problems with the vox, that's why I said peavey first, I do think the vox sounds better.
But I've never bought a "new" small amp when any of my kids decided they wanted to play, I always hit the pawn shops first, You can get a lot more amp for your money, Plus if he's going to be using one of yours to start you can take your time and shop around till you find the right deal, My experiance has always been the new entry level amps, no matter who makes it will be outgrown very soon,and you'll be out shopping for a replacement anyway. Better to get a good bigger used amp and cut out the starter amp. :thu:

Archived