OT: car question... trying not to get ripped off here

guitarbilly74

• Members

I went to drive my car today and it's picking up speed really slow. Once it gets past 30mph it drives fine though.. just slow coming from a stop. The engine is running fine and it does NOT loose power, RPMs are shooting up when I press the gas pedal, but the car just takes forever to start to move.

I took it to a shop and I was told I need a new clutch. Does that sound right?? I can still switch gears just fine, the pedal is not stuck to the floor. Do I really need to replace the thing or just get it adjusted?? The {censored}er is trying to charge me $470 for it and if that's the problem, well it is what it is..

I just want to make sure I'm not spending money I don't have to. It's a 95 mustang by the way, cable clutch.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You can tell the clutch is slipping if you see your RPMs going up faster disproportionately than your speed when the clutch is engaged (pedal up).

Oh and btw don't be scared to do the clutch yourself. If you have a jack and some jackstands, you can pull the tranny out by hand.

• Members

The pedal doesn't always have to go to the floor. If you ever ride the clutch, it could be glazed over and still have thickness, but basically rendered useless. Another possibility, though pretty rare, is on cars that have a weak firewall where a clutch cable goes through and doesn't have additional support. I had that happen to me on a Chevy Monza I had years ago. It popped right through the firewall.

At the very least, get another estimate/opinion. Unless the guy is your best friend and you have dirt on him you could "share" with his GF, don't even start to trust him.

• Members
I'll tell them that but I have no way to tell if it was done or not since I have no clue what they are
:lol:

there won't be anyway for you to know. sometimes a clutch will chatter if a flywheel hasn't been re-surfaced...but not always...

they could charge you for resurfacing the flywheel, and not do it. Same with the pilot bearing, you won't ever know the difference. Saying something like roccaforte suggested could be in your best interest though.

This is why I work on my cars and don't trust anyone with them, evAr:lol:

• Members

It's a little more complicated than that....

Yeah, it sure can be. I had a girlfriend that bought an MGB. (Cute British sports car for you kids). Very soon after the clutch starts slipping. Sure, no problem, I'll fix it. Turns out for that model, the engine has to come out to get to it.

Archived