ENGL Customer Service :mad:

strtdv

• Members

I had several issues with my Blackmore. I can't even get soemone on the phone or via email. Anyone ever gotta ahold of Engl?

They have actually been pretty good at replying to emails. The last one the guy sounded pretty annoyed that I was still bugging him, but once they provide a copy of their warranty policy I can get Trading Standards involved.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

ENGL is the Peavey of Europe
:o

Close, but Peavey's USA made shit is built pretty well. Are there breakdowns? Of course there are. But you didn't pay 2-4K for that Peavey either did you? :cop:

Peavey's warranty service is second to none. Just keep your original reciept and for five years, it's getting fixed. Period.

• Members

Thanks for the link. I'm looking into my options once its established that they are legally in the wrong.

They have actually been pretty good at replying to emails. The last one the guy sounded pretty annoyed that I was still bugging him, but once they provide a copy of their warranty policy I can get Trading Standards involved.

They ARE in the wrong. You should be able to get them to take care of you. Sue them if you have too. You'd be surprised how that freaks a company out. They'll get a hold of you before the court date, trust me.

• Members

just check the age of your brand new ENGL from the serial number before you buy.

I've contacted their customer service asking about the age of my amp a couple times in the past week, and I haven't even received a reply. :mad:

Anyone know of another way I can ballpark the age of my amp? (sorry, don't mean to hi-jack)

• Members

Another lesson you dirt farmers can derive from this: embrace simpler, single channel amps and work the volume knob on your guitars for your cleans and whatnot. Crowds at your live shows will not care if you're going from clean to dirty on a dime.

Or they could just buy reliable products...

• Members

That was me, but it was twice not 3 times. Both times it was a {censored}ing nightmare to get the issue worked out, and the second time I had to pay for the repairs because the 1 year was up.

Get this.. they are so shady in how they operate, that when I ordered my SE from Nick on the MD forums, I drove to his shop to pick it up when it came in, and it had a midi issue straight out of the box. We called Velvet Dist while still at the store and said we wanted a replacement. Velvet talked him into having me take the amp home while he contacted ENGL in Germany, and figured out what they were going to do. After protesting taking the amp from the store at all, I finally conceded and took it home and played around with it for a couple days while waiting for an answer.

Turns out, ENGL has a policy that once it leaves the store they will NOT replace it. It had to be sent to Alpha Kinetix in Florida for repairs, and no amount of arguing or complaining on my part would get them to budge even though it was at their own distributors urging that I even took the amp from the store. Dishonest bastards. After having my amp for only 2 days I was without it for almost 3 weeks while it was being repaired.

I dug the tone from my SE, but I am done with the company for good, with the exception of my pro cab, which I like very much.

That is a sad story man. That was bull{censored}. I would have left with it too.

And yes, Engl cabs are bad ass. Only thing I'd buy from them after this thread.

• Members

Wow... I've owned numerous Boogies that I bought back in the late 80's/early 90's (I had a 2channel Dual Rec, a Mark III and one of the first DC-5's ever built) and played them all till about 3 years ago when I sold them all and bought my Rev-B DC-5 (which is still 11 years old) not to mention my 2004 Lonestar that was my main gigging amp for a couple of years and that's just the boogie stuff I've owned. I've had a bunch of other amps.

I've never had one break. Never. Not one. Just tube issues which is part of owning a tube amp.

{censored} that overpriced Euro-trash.

• Members

I wanted an Engl Powerball soooo bad. I'm glad I read this thread. I'm having enough trouble with Framus that I would not want to go through it all over again with Engl.

I wouldn't base your decision on this thread to be honest mate.

• Members

I wouldn't base your decision on this thread to be honest mate.

I'm basing my decision on my experience with Framus. It has been a total PIA top to bottom and cost me more money than I expected. I know Engl is not Framus but if there is even a remote chance that I would have to go through this crap again, I think I would do better to steer clear of their products.

I'm going to aim for a Titan in the not so distant future. After talking to Zach, I am convinced his amp is the way to go.

• Members

That of course hinges on the assumption that diezel can actually fix their amps when they break...
:cop:

Fair enough, though I haven't heard of any issues with Diezel not being able to fix their equipment. Do you have a story to share? :lol:

I guess I will know first hand in the next week or so, since my Herbert is at Diezel USA for repair at the moment. I can definitely say the customer service at Diezel is lightyears ahead of ENGL.

• Members

Not me personallly. Our rhythm guitar player had an einstein that they couldn't fix. He eventually had to send it to some 3rd party amp repair company and they couldn't fix it either.

He traded it to our (used to be) diezel dealer in town that they sold to some guy locally who shortly there after, the amp started to have the exact same problem. poop.gif

• Members

I could tell ENGL didnt give a care about their customers when i saw how much they charge for a simple two button footswitch that is proprietary for absolutely NO REASON.

120 bucks for a two button footswitch? That is just stupid!.

For the price of their amps they should be bending over backwards for you.

Thats the whole damn reason you pay so much for an amp. It certainly doesn't cost them 300% more to build, so why else are they charging 300% more.

What the OP says about their treatment is absolutely appalling.

They want to drain your wallet and give you as little as humanly possible.

One solution.

Boycott ENGL. And tell your friends how much engl sucks .

~mike~

• Members

They ARE in the wrong. You should be able to get them to take care of you. Sue them if you have too. You'd be surprised how that freaks a company out. They'll get a hold of you before the court date, trust me.

It's not quite as simple as that. If their warranty policy actually does state that the warranty begins when the amp leaves the factory, then that is actually legal, or at least proving its illegal gets more difficult.

European law states that a product like an amp has a 2 year warranty from the date of purchase, but the degree to which this law is upheld varies from country to country. In the UK you get less protection than elsewhere in Europe. However, ENGL being a German company, they may fall under German law, which is much stricter regarding the enforcement of the European law.

I'd prefer it if I could settle this without having to resort to legal action, but yes, at some point the threat of a small claims court, which if they lose they will be liable for costs as well as having to repair the amp anyway, over something as small as an amp repair, could tip the situation in my favour.

I'll not be buying ENGL again. They make great sounding amps, but the build quality just isn't there for the price of them, and with customer service as bad as that it's just easier to deal with other companies.

• Members

Not me personallly. Our rhythm guitar player had an einstein that they couldn't fix. He eventually had to send it to some 3rd party amp repair company and they couldn't fix it either.

He traded it to our (used to be) diezel dealer in town that they sold to some guy locally who shortly there after, the amp started to have the exact same problem.
poop.gif

"We designed it, but we'll be damned if we can fix it!"

Beautiful. Hopefully I have better luck with them concerning repairs. :lol:

• Members

The problem with ENGL is not their present warranty policy...It's the build quality pf the amps that they produce.

They simply cannot afford to offer consumer freindly repair and returns options. Believe me, they are fully aware of the frequency of flaws, breakdowns and glitches.

What ENGL needs to do is stop charging "boutique" prices for average build quality...Just my opinion.

• Members

Sorry to hear all of this. My 2006 Screamer head is a gem and has had no problems, maybe because it's one of their simpler designs. I've used ALPHA-KINETIX, for a tube change and biasing on the Engl as well as work done on other amps. Gary is a really good guy if you need to use his services. Can take a while for completion though depending on his work load.

Archived