Should I take my new m-audio back?

jlc1587

• Members

I got the m-audio USB pre that comes with phantom power. I bought it because my firewire doesn't work with my laptop because it doesn't have firewire. Plus USB works fine for me. I've been using the guitarport for a while but I needed something with mic inputs instead of rigging it like i've been doing.

Anyway, the guy at the store tells me this is better than the guitarport. Everything I looked at and questioned he just kept saying this is the one I want. So I buy it. Only to find out it's only 16 bit and not 24 bit. I'm not a pro so I'm not sure if it really is that important. What do you think?

Also, a question I asked in the recording forum but it's slow over there. Should I use the phantom power on it? It's usb and doesn't plug into a wall. It's made for a laptop. Is USB good enough to give my mic enough power to make it sound right? I hear all phantom power isn't created equal.

I have a phantom power adapter that plugs in the wall. Should I use that and then plug it from the adapter to the m-audio and switch the phantom power to off on the m-audio or keep it on on the m-audio. OR will the m-audio phantom power be good enough?

I know my guitarport would do 24 bit recording so that's what I'd keep it at. With both I record at a good rate with the asio driver. About as low as it will go believe it or not. Or as high if you will.

I really like the way it looks and it's portable and it doesn't need to be plugged into the wall but I'm just wondering if USB really is a good source for phantom power and if I really NEED 24 bit recording.

As I said I'm no pro but I do want it to sound as good as possible. Of course it's not going to sound like a million bucks. From messing with it tonight it sounds really good but I don't know if it might sound better if it was 24 bit.

• Members

There's an M-Audio usb mixer in my music room that a friend bought (comes with ProTools...). I am not sure if it is 16 bit but the sound quality is fantastic.

I don't know if it has phantom power, yet I use phantom power from a separate mixing desk anyway (Alesis Multimix8) that handles all of the microphones, with the Main Mix Out going to the m-audio and then via usb to the computer.

• Members

Every CD you've ever heard has been 16 bit audio. I'd imagine that it's plenty good enough for your home demos.

I thought phantom power was for those (older?) microphones that take that kind of power, as opposed to whatever the term is for what we're using today (standard?
:confused:
)

Nope.
Phantom power is for condenser microphones.
Dynamic microphones don't need it.
Ribbon mics can be damaged by it.

• Members
I thought phantom power was for those (older?) microphones that take that kind of power, as opposed to whatever the term is for what we're using today (standard?
:confused:
)

What? You got to have phantom power to use condenser mic's. I only use condenser for recording unless I'm micing a cab. I don't want to be singing on a recording through a dynamic mic really. Don't prefer that type of sound.

• Members

Every CD you've ever heard has been 16 bit audio. I'd imagine that it's plenty good enough for your home demos.

Nope.

Phantom power is for condenser microphones.

Dynamic microphones don't need it.

Ribbon mics can be damaged by it.

Yeah, but from what I'm reading recording at 24 bit has a better sound.

• Members

Not all phantom power is created equal, but most condenser mics just need a couple of mA. Some very expensive mics use up to 8mA, but typical requirements are under 3mA.

The great thing about Phantom Power is that if you're a noob and accidentally send power to a dynamic (unpowered) mic, it does no harm whatsoever, unlike its predecessor Parallel Power, which could destroy the mic.

Edit;

Also, if your mic cable is correctly wired and has no shorts, it should be completely fine to use with a Ribbon mic.

• Members

So does anyone know if the USB is good enough for phantom power or if I should use my phantom power adapter and then into the m-audio interface?

From what I'm reading although they mostly all say 48v that doesn't mean they are created equal and that the more power I can get the warmer the mic will sound.

• Members

Not all phantom power is created equal, but most condenser mics just need a couple of mA. Some very expensive mics use up to 8mA, but typical requirements are under 3mA.

The great thing about Phantom Power is that if you're a noob and accidentally send power to a dynamic (unpowered) mic, it does no harm whatsoever, unlike its predecessor Parallel Power, which could destroy the mic.

I'm using a Rode nt-1A. USB phantom good enough?

• Members

Guarantee it's a MUCH smaller difference than you'd think. Probably close enough you won't be able to tell a difference.

This is good. That means I won't have to take the thing back. I don't understand why a little guitarport can do 24 bit and an m-audio which is more expensive and has more features can't do 24 bit.

I'm using asio4all should i use the asio driver it came with over that? I"m able to get a really good sampling rate. I have no latency what so ever.

• Members

More than that - if you're using M-Audio gear, your setup isn't high fidelity enough to notice any difference that may actually exist.

That's good. I just always kept it at 24 on the guitarport. From what I've read the difference is kindof like mp3 vs wav. I can tell the difference in that most of the time.

• Members

CDs are 16 bit. I wouldn't worry about that unless you're recording professional albums (which nobody does with M-audio USB interfaces). As for the phantom power, try it both ways and use what you think works best. My guess is the USB power will be fine.

Yeah, it's not pro or anything but at the same time I do care about it being as high quality as possible for what I can afford. I like a good warm tone with my mic. Which it is giving me but if I even think that it could be better I always have to ask.

• Members

I'm thinking you'd be safe, but if it were me I'd turn the USB power off to use the adapter just in case.

Yeah, I think I'm going to go with the adapter just because I know it's capable of getting more power. BUT it'd be nice to just use the m-audio because that way I'd have less wires and {censored} running. The mic would just plug straight into the interface and that's it.

• Members

That's good. I just always kept it at 24 on the guitarport. From what I've read the difference is kindof like mp3 vs wav. I can tell the difference in that most of the time.

The difference isn't nearly as pronounced as lossy vs. lossless audio formats. 24 bit on consumer grade HR gear is a gimmick at best. Bitrate isn't going to be the sound quality "bottleneck" in that type of setup, as has been said.

• Members

The difference isn't nearly as pronounced as lossy vs. lossless audio formats.

Okay, cool.

At first I bought a presonus audio box. It was like my firewire interface except USB. I took it back in 2 hours and got an m-audio. It didn't work well with my 64 bit vista and I kept hearing cracking going on.

The m-audio is much more attractive and worked right out of the box. I installed nothing. It just installed the driver it's self and worked. But I'm thinking I might need to install the asio drivers for it and try them. But right now I'm just using asio4all.

• Members

Be nice if I could hear myself through the speakers. I can't hear it until I normalize the track. It's way too low and I got it as far as it will go without clipping. After normalizing I can hear it pretty well. I'd like it to be loud in the first place though.

Archived