Band DVD's

jlc1587

• Members

Sorry. But why do bands think we are interested in seeing them in airports? Eating out? Taking a piss? hanging out and drinking bud light? And all the cheesy jokes in a band DVD. JESUS.

It always has someone talking in ebonics and laughing at only themselves also.

Worse one ever = Lamb of god's Walk with me in Hell.

It took everything I had to sit through that piece of {censored} DVD. Just go eat at the {censored}ing out back I don't care. I bought it expecting all this studio footage and watching the guys write the songs and go through difficult times trying to put out the album. None of that.

Just cheesy joke after joke. Prank after prank.

I mean these guys get bored on the road so they have to joke and prank each other. And they think I'm so bored that I want to be there too?

Never buying a band DVD again unless I know for a fact it's not going to be this. This is about the 10th time it's happened.

I have had this DVD for a while but I just put it in again and had to rant.

• Members
Some people are really into that these days, yo know, the whole reality TV/voyerism stuff...different strokes bro.

It's very annoying.

I think they shouldn't flatter themselves. They think that they are actually so fun that people want to hang out with them through the dvd. It looks BORING as hell.

"{censored} our plane got delayed. OMG they got Chinese food in the airport." :rolleyes:

Not to bring up Chimaira (because I know people get tired of me doing that) but atleast their dvd's are {censored}ing interesting. Atleast they have a point to them.

• Members

I can totally understand. Buying a DVD you want to see some real interesting stuff, how they work in the studio (like you said) or maybe rehearsal footage.

ON the BONUS dvd on the walk with me in hell from Lamb of God, it then shows them writing songs and a little bit of in the studio. But it's not much. It's nowhere near the hanging out in airports, drinking on the tour bus, talking about a comic book character they just made up.

• Members

ON the BONUS dvd on the walk with me in hell from Lamb of God, it then shows them writing songs and a little bit of in the studio. But it's not much. It's nowhere near the hanging out in airports, drinking on the tour bus, talking about a comic book character they just made up.

But the DVD you bought is a concert DVD in the 1st place? Or is it meant to be a tour-documentary?

• Members

I think it's more for the people who went to those shows and wanted to be in on the experience.

I think you were looking for another Same Kind Of Monster. Four little queens, struggling to live life with lots of money having to write a heavy metal album when their creativity is at such a low point, even a balding Britney Spears would have had more to put into it than they had.

• Members

I think it's more for the people who went to those shows and wanted to be in on the experience.

I think you were looking for another Same Kind Of Monster. Four little queens, struggling to live life with lots of money having to write a heavy metal album when their creativity is at such a low point, even a balding Britney Spears would have had more to put into it than they had.

No, that's not what I'm looking for. I'm just looking for it to be interesting.

Chimaira's dvd's are very interesting. The first one showed struggle because they were trying to make it.

The second newest one doesn't show any struggle or anything. But it shows them writing the songs, getting in the studio, figuring out what they are going to do about the songs, coming up with ideas... Then recording the songs.

I know that might sound boring but it's exciting to watch the process. They do make jokes and stuff too but not to the degree of Lamb Of God's and a lot of other bands dvd's.

But I did think Some Kind of Monster was fairly interesting too. It's not as good as Chimaira's first one though. The Coheed and Cambria one was amazing. It had 4 nights of music plus a great documentary.

Another one that sucked bad that I bought, A Perfect Circle. It included all their videos (every video is for free on youtube now) and a photo album. LOL that was like it. It had some commentary but that was boring.

Killswitch Engage DVD was awesome. The documentary got annoying at times but it did tell their story which I like and the concert was good.

All that remains DVD blew bad.

Shadows Fall Drunk and {censored}ty in every city, SUCKED HARD. That was worse than the lamb of god one.

That's just a few I have. I have a {censored} load of them. Most of them I bought when I was just getting into all these bands. I got into Chimaira and Killswitch when I was 16 and went to my first lamb of god show at 16.

I'm 22 now. It doesn't seem like those bands have been around that long but they have. I was young and would buy anything they put out. Now that I'm older when they come out with something new I'll go ahead and buy it to keep up with what they are doing. But that has now stopped.

I didn't buy the last Shadows Fall cd, Killswitch Engage, or all that remains. I listened online and couldn't stand it.

• Members

YOU find studio stuff interesting because YOU are a musician. Regular kids find eating/drinking/dicking around funny/interesting because that's what they do. Also it gives them access to the band on a different level where they get to see them as regular guys.

I get that you don't like these DVD's but I also get that their are people who do and while a market exists for something people will make it.

• Members

YOU find studio stuff interesting because YOU are a musician. Regular kids find eating/drinking/dicking around funny/interesting because that's what they do. Also it gives them access to the band on a different level where they get to see them as regular guys.

I get that you don't like these DVD's but I also get that their are people who do and while a market exists for something people will make it.

I disagree though. I know people personally who don't play music who found the Chimaira dvd great. And the coheed and cambria. My dad even likes the coheed and Chimaira dvd and he plays nothing. My girlfriend likes the coheed dvd. They find it interesting. So does one of my co workers who plays nothing.

But they think the lamb of god dvd is boring. My friend fell asleep during it the first time we watched it!

I mean it's boring as {censored}.

I really don't think that most kids do want to see this. I think they just buy it because it's lamb of god. Just like I did. Expecting it to be cool. I haven't heard one person who bought it talk about how much they liked it.

I heard people talk about liking the first one. And the first one was decent. The concert was better for one. Everyone was exciting about the fight on the tour bus on the first dvd. Which was the lamest fight in the world. But it was atleast mildly entertaining.

• Members
We'll just have to agree to disagree then
:wave:

I think quality is just gone to {censored} with most bands. Rather it be DVD's or CD's. Hell, bands just don't got it like they used to. And a lot of them comment and say theres no money in the CD's anymore so they don't focus on making an entire album great.

I mean what does money got to do with wanting your {censored} to be good?

I make NO money making music. I don't get paid one dime. But I write albums and I write them to the best of my ability. I put my all in them. I lock myself in my apartment and put in 8 and 9 hour sessions. I've even put in a 16 hour session before on my last acoustic album.

Everything is done the best I can. Even the lyrics. Hell you know how most bands are writing lyrics now? Waiting until the studio and then when the song is almost done writing the first thing that comes to mind.

ON the new Chimaira Mark Hunter was sitting there asking the producer what rhymed with certain words. He wasn't changing the lyrics or anything. He was just writing the first thing that came to mind. Songs have NO meaning at all and they are all cliche.

Used to when they were young and striving to make it, they'd sit there and make everything the best they could. Hunter said he had over 200 notebooks of lyrics he spent hundreds of hours writing.

Not anymore... they just write on the tour bus and it's the first thing that comes to mind. That's the deal with the DVD's. If I was going to make a DVD I'd get together with the band and the dvd producer and say, "What can we do to make our DVD really worth it?" Not just get a camera to follow me around.

It ruins a lot of the bands for me too. Because I can't take them seriously anymore. I mean what if TOOL had a DVD like this. All the mystery and everything about Maynard would be gone and they just wouldn't seem as cool. I know that might sound stupid but I'm less interested in a band once I see how stupid they are.

I guess sometimes I think, they are intelligent guys who are giving it their all. And then I see the DVD and see they are just copying someone else and not giving a {censored}. Hell All That Remains you know how they make up their solos? They go listen to Zakk Wylde IN THE STUDIO before they write one for a few hours and just go do what he does and put their own little swing on it. I mean that takes no {censored}ing effort. That's not creative at all.

• Members

Ok, I'm not going to say that you haven't made some decent points but the fact is that the kids keep buying these DVD's and I know they are because I work at a store where we sell CD's and music DVD's and the kids eat that kinda thing up, they love those insights. It might ruin it for you but if you're opinion was that of the majority of consumers labels/publishers wouldn't be putting them out.

Value is a subjective thing, so is quality to a certain extent, just because something doesn't represent good value to you doesn't mean it doesn't represent good value to somebody else, as I said in my initial post; different strokes.

I'm not saying you have to like them, I'm not making any judgement on them either way myself, all I'm saying is that if there was no market they wouldn't exist. They do exist therefore the market for them must exist and therefore there must be enough people who are willing to buy them and presumably enjoy watching them.

• Members

Ok, I'm not going to say that you haven't made some decent points but the fact is that the kids keep buying these DVD's and I know they are because I work at a store where we sell CD's and music DVD's and the kids eat that kinda thing up, they love those insights. It might ruin it for you but if you're opinion was that of the majority of consumers labels/publishers wouldn't be putting them out.

Value is a subjective thing, so is quality to a certain extent, just because something doesn't represent good value to you doesn't mean it doesn't represent good value to somebody else, as I said in my initial post; different strokes.

I'm not saying you have to like them, I'm not making any judgement on them either way myself, all I'm saying is that if there was no market they wouldn't exist. They do exist therefore the market for them must exist and therefore there must be enough people who are willing to buy them and presumably enjoy watching them.

Right but, look at the reviews online. Of course it sales. Hell I bought it. BUT a lot of kids, even the type who like that type of thing still can see quality in music is going down and just product in general.

I've looked at all kinds of stuff online. My nephew who is 15, all his friends and him look for bands on myspace because they say the quality of the stuff they find elsewhere sucks. And it's not the normal teenage trying to rebel against MTV type of thing. It's just they want quality music and products. That's all they want. And no one wants to give it. No one wants to be original.

I'd say there are a lot of kids who probably enjoy walk with me in hell and seeing their favorite band hang out. BUT I'd say they enjoy a quality product over that a lot more.

Kids are going to buy whatever you feed them PERIOD. I mean look at the stuff that's selling.

What MTV don't understand is they could put GOOD music on and kids would still eat it up.

I know I'm all over the place with the subjects here. But the reason for that is it's not just the DVD's that piss me off. It's quality of the product.

I'm just a local guy and in my old town before I moved I had a lot of people offer to pay 20 bucks for my first acoustic album. Because it's 10 quality songs. I don't rush, I don't write them and not care. I put a lot of work into it and people can tell. But of course I just gave the cd's away. Because I'm not in it for the money.

If I had a DVD it'd be the same way. I'd put all I had into this DVD. I'm scared to buy any cd these days.

Imagine if kids these days were hearing a quality product how much more it would actually sell. They are buying it because it's all they got to buy right now. Same reason I'm buying it.

• Members

Just a small aside, on the writing process and the way it changes for many bands once they get big, it has to, it can't be helped. When you are a young band trying to make it there is no time limit on your writing, no constraints on it. Presumably you have band prac once or twice a week during which time you jam out new songs and practice/perfect stuff you already have.

If you make it big you cut an album, probably stuff you've already written just tweaked here and there by the producer, then you go on tour, hard. You have to push this album, play everywhere, you're always on the road. So you do the whole US, you're playing two-three shows a week, you do this for what, a year? Eighteen months? Then what? The label comes to you, they need a new record. So what do you do? You go into the studio. This is not the writing process you are used to, there is pressure to make an album that stands up to the first album and even surpasses it. It's tough and it must only get tougher everytime you have to go back. These guys have to write on the tour bus, when else are they going to do it?

You put the time and effort into your music you do because you want it to be the best it can be but no one is on your back to get it done before any deadline and, perhaps most importantly of all, music isn't your job. I hope guys in big bands still love playing music and try to write the best music they can but when it's a job I feel it can't help but change the way it is approached. I'm not making excuses, just offering some understanding to the way in which things must change for bands that 'make it big'.

• Members

Just a small aside, on the writing process and the way it changes for many bands once they get big, it has to, it can't be helped. When you are a young band trying to make it there is no time limit on your writing, no constraints on it. Presumably you have band prac once or twice a week during which time you jam out new songs and practice/perfect stuff you already have.

If you make it big you cut an album, probably stuff you've already written just tweaked here and there by the producer, then you go on tour, hard. You have to push this album, play everywhere, you're always on the road. So you do the whole US, you're playing two-three shows a week, you do this for what, a year? Eighteen months? Then what? The label comes to you, they need a new record. So what do you do? You go into the studio. This is not the writing process you are used to, there is pressure to make an album that stands up to the first album and even surpasses it. It's tough and it must only get tougher everytime you have to go back. These guys have to write on the tour bus, when else are they going to do it?

You put the time and effort into your music you do because you want it to be the best it can be but no one is on your back to get it done before any deadline and, perhaps most importantly of all, music isn't your job. I hope guys in big bands still love playing music and try to write the best music they can but when it's a job I feel it can't help but change the way it is approached. I'm not making excuses, just offering some understanding to the way in which things must change for bands that 'make it big'.

Oh I understand why they do it. But I also know some bands that won't put out an album if they can't write it a certain way. And if they got the record company making them then they do it the right way.

Why do you think every Coheed album is great? It keeps getting better and better. They won't write any of their stuff on tour. Claudio has a small home studio (smaller than mine) and sits there writing his stuff.

I understand your point but lets go back to what I said about Chimaira's new album, okay? Remember when I said Mark Hunter did what most bands are doing and waited until the song was almost done in the studio before he wrote lyrics and then he basically freestyled them and wrote them down and didn't change it or anything. Whatever rhymed he made it work.

WELL, you mean to tell me as a vocalist this guy has no time at all to write lyrics until that time? He should have notebooks of {censored}.

It's like, I had a guy who wanted to sing in my solo metal stuff I've been doing. Well, he says he's been singing since he was little and he's 28. he said he's been serious about it for 10 years.

This guy had not one notebook full of songs. NOT ONE. And he says he writes his own lyrics.

I've gotten in bands with people who have not one riff made up on guitar and have been playing for years. And the last band I was in, we had PLENTY of time to write and guess what? They would wait until they booked studio time before they wanted to write a song. And ended up writing some of the vocals in the studio!

I have no idea why people do that. And it never turns out good. Sure theres some songs that have but for the most part it'll never be a be all end all album writing it that way.

If I was in a signed band and had to make an album every year I'd take about a month and go home, which most record companies give bands 3 months usually to write their next album at home. I could go home in one month and work my ass off and write a quality album.

I don't care if it's only 20 people listening to it or if I got a shot at letting millions hear it. I'm not going to give them no bull{censored}.

When you hear my acoustic stuff you can tell it's well thought up. Don't you hate when you hear lyrics and you already know what the next line is going to say? Because they say whatever the first line made them think of or whatever the first common rhyme says? Mine never does that.

Same with the guitar riffs. If I write some lyrics and the second line sounds too amateur, like I thought of it because of the first line and it's too predictable then I change it.

I don't really listen to rap but I just hear an eminem song on a few minutes ago and that reminded me of that too. Like when he said "friday the 13th" in one rhyme I already knew the next line was going to talk about Freddy Kruger and then Jason. you can tell he just says whatever pops in his mind. he used to not but he does not.

Just like most bands now. It's just a freestyle and they write it down.

This goes for guitar riffs too not just lyrics. Same principle applies.

Hell I used to have a drummer who would play the same formula all the time. AMAZING drummer BUT he got so used to playing it the first way it came to him he couldn't do anything new after we wrote so many songs. I'd force him to play it different and not so predictable. He could not get it. He'd always screw it up and go right back into it. He didn't want to work.

I'm so sleepy so I know this is probably crazy. I feel like I've just typed a bunch of crazy {censored}. haha But you get my drift. Music is just so simple now and predictable and the product is {censored}. No quality.

• Members

Oh yeah, another thing I forgot to mention. Trivium is bad about this. They say it in every interview almost...

In these DVD's and interviews they want to point out that they are normal people. They keep saying, "Yeah, we're in a metal band but I mean we play video games and drink Starbucks. We're just normal people." As if it's the 1970's and people still think guys in metal bands aren't normal guys.

The worse thing though is I've seen on about 3 dvd's BONUS FEATURES and I can name off 3 bands who have them playing guitar hero on bonus features. LOL and I can name a few more that have it in the regular part of the dvd.

Archived