What tube pre amp for a mic do you guys have?

jlc1587

• Members

I used to have a presonus that I had borrowed from a friend. As some of you know I'm back into recording.

Anyway, I went to his house last night before coming home and wow I loved that thing. I got to have one because it really makes it sound a lot warmer.

His is the blue presonus that's like 129 bucks. I can spend more than that though. I wouldn't mind getting something that I'm not going to have to upgrade.

• Members

i can give you a good deal on a STUDIO PROJECTS VTB-1 that i haven't used in about a year. since i bought the RNP i never use the VTB-1. it's mounted on the rack shelf that's made for it, which is sold separately.

check it out here if you are not familiar with it:

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Studio-Projects-VTB1-Tube-Blend-Mic-Preamp?sku=180360

• Members

Okay, I've had a little while to mess with it now. For anyone who cares. It's awesome. Thank god I went and got it and the other m-audio interface. I don't have to normalize anymore to be able to hear myself or my guitar. Before I had to normalize. My other m-audio would NOT turn up loud enough. There was no way to hear what you were doing you just had to record it and normalize it.

This m-audio has 24 bit and the bluetube pre amp before it sounds amazing. Clear and warm as {censored}.

I'm using the phantom power on the bluetube and turning it off on the m-audio.

• Members

there's a definite barrier between the budget preamps and everything else. It goes from like $400 to $2000 with seemingly nothing in between.

I opted for the $400 ART digital MPA and (for now) it gets me by. One day I'll own a much better one but there's a lot of stuff I need more.

what I'd really like (based mostly on using a couple in studios) is a Universal Audio 2-610. but that's 2 G's I don't have...

• Members

I'm working on a clip now to post. I'm sure there gets better. I just needed something that suits my budget and what I need. I like to get a lot of warmth and drive on my mic. What I'm satisfied with a lot of you might not be. But honestly the thing sounds so good it's hard to imagine it being a hell of a lot better. The Rode nt-1a is going through the bluetube dual channel and then to the m-audio fast track pro.

Not a pro set up but damn it sounds so much sweeter than what I had. That M-audio is the {censored} too. I love it. The m-audio I got before this one sucked. This one is only 50 more bucks and has a ton more {censored}. And I can turn the asio driver wherever I want it and I get no drop outs on this one either.

I keep the level pretty low on the m-audio and mostly drive the mic with the bluetube. I turn the tube up a good bit. I like how you can choose how much the tube is being driven.

Archived