GNX4 v GSP1101? Thoughts /opinions.

lenster

• Members

So i've decided to sell my Zoom G9.2TT and my Peavey triumph.

The zoom is great but i would like to try something different and have decided on these 2 units.

This will be for a 2nd rig and for recording.

Do they sound and react ( dynamics) the same or is the GSP1101 superior?

GNX4 won't need an additional floor controller which is a bonus but if the 1101 sounds and performs better i don't mind spending the extra.

I have read many reviews on both and it seems they both rate well.

What input could u guys give me as to which one u think is the 1?

• Members

GNX4 won't need an additional floor controller which is a bonus but if the 1101 sounds and performs better i don't mind spending the extra.

I think the RP1000 is very close to the 1101 and you don't have to worry about the floor controller.

• Members

Looks like the GNX is older stuff, the RP series is the new stuff. The 1101 is the rackversion of the RP series, which requires a separate foot controller for live use. Not really sure of the benefits of using an 1101 with the additional foot controller vs just getting the RP1000.

I don't typically have the highest of opinions about modellers over tube amps, but after owning the Boss GT-10, Line 6 X3 Live and most recently, the DigiTech RP500, I can say they all have their shortcomings, but the RP sounds the best to me so far.

Summary:

-The 355 is simple and cheap.

-The 500 removes the drum machine and sampling, but gives you more maps and control.

-The 1000 still doesn't give you drums and sampling, and is really just the 500 with more buttons.

The RP series, compared to the Boss and Line 6 floorboards, lacks dual processing and deep editing, whcih puts it behind in the technology. However, the preamps sound and feel more accurate to me. It boasts simplicity as a feature, which may be favorable to people who just want to get good tones quickly for live use.

• Members

GSP has more process power than the RP1000 or 500. GSP has spillover effects and more routing flexibility IIRC. The other ones don't. Other guitarist in my band had them both and went with teh GSP. GNX gear is pretty solid. Thats the workstation concept. Word is Digitech is expanding that line maybe next NAMM show. Who knows since they don't let the cat out of the bag much. My buddies GNX had funky output switches. You have to set them for the onboard DI for recording the cab sims or its really fizzy. Mate liked it, but wanted a rack unit since he has an FCB controller.

• Members

I'm loving my RP1000. The amp loop and stomp loop make it very versatile, and it replaced my GT8(which was run 4 cable). It has a looper too, which is lots of fun.

I did a little demo of my rig yesterday, covering a lot of gear(new super strat, RP1000, AMT p1 modelling pedal):

Jugb9XEh1Xc

• Members

Cool.

So i've just sourced out some info on the RP 500 / 1000 models .

The GSP1101 has 2 DNA2 chips as opposed to 1 DNA2 chip in the RP 500/1000.

Double the processing power.

Hmmmm.

A user over at TSB posted a comparison of the 1101 and the RP1000. :

http://forum.thestompbox.net/showthread.php?t=8561

Link to sound files is in post #7.

To quote him: "I find the sound almost identical with a super slight difference." Most forumites there give the edge to the RP1000.

• Members

The GSP and the RP1000 are very simular in sound. They are much better when intergrating with an amp then the GNX4. They are also more dynamic then the GNX series. The GNX has its own benifits like drum machine, looper, recorder, etc. The RP1000 has some features that the GSP does not. But there is a beta version of the firmware for the GSP that gives you most of the RP1000 features and it is stable. In my opinion the GSP modeling is the best of the bunch, but the RP500/1000 are right there. If you want to rack mount your equipment get the GSP and you will only have one cable coming from you rack to the foot controller. If you are going to use an amp and the RP500/1000 you are going to have a lot (3-4) cables running to the RP.

• Members

The biggest reason to get the GNX4 is the 8 track recorder, looper, MP3 backing track player, and MIDI drum machine. If you don't need that then you might be better off getting later model equipment. I had both an X3 Live and a GNX4. I sold the X3 because it didn't sound much if any better then the GNX4, which has the recorder.

• Members

Well i might have a local buyer for my G9 .

So i think i'll go the GSP1101 route .

I will have enough $ to buy the unit and get a Ground control 2 later .

But i will 1st go to my local music store and demo a RP1000 for a couple of days .

Obviously won't beat my main rig but i'm looking forward to tweaking some new sounds.

Any other opinions out there ?

• Members

The biggest reason to get the GNX4 is the 8 track recorder, looper, MP3 backing track player, and MIDI drum machine. If you don't need that then you might be better off getting later model equipment. I had both an X3 Live and a GNX4. I sold the X3 because it didn't sound much if any better then the GNX4, which has the recorder.

Isn't that the difference in the Workstations and RP styles? I think the Workstation stuff was for recording and going to a mixer board rigging with those built in DI's. IIRC those don't offer 4CM options. RP500-1000 does.

• Members

GNX4 I think has 3 ADNA V1 chips. GNX3 had 2.

ADNA V2 is the new chip. Only one in the RP's and 2 in the GSP.

Our other guitar player was heavy into the Digitech gear. 2101, GNX4, now the GSP. He wanted the rack design, but still says he's fine with a GNX4. I used to have one. Workstation features were pretty cool for what it was or is.

I know he always brings the 4 for backup and jamming before the gigs. Says he has a boatload of songs on the recorder and just practices his solos.

I'd consider a GNX version5 if they bundled a firewire interface and 8 or 12 track recording options. Throw a camera in there while your at it! :lol:

Archived