OT: Anyone drive a Mazda 3 s hatchback here?

JnBroadbent

• Members

The only way I would do that is if they had thorough documentation of the maintenance history for the vehicle.

Yep. Which is why I bought an Aircraft maintenance logbook for my car.

Everything is in there, the date it happened, what came out, what it was replaced with, who did the work, what it cost and the mileage that it happened at.

If I ever sell the mazda, I'm sure this will be able to smoothe out the "unknowns" to my future purchaser.

You should do it too, the logbooks shouldn't be too hard to find.

• Members

Would it be safe to buy one closer to 100k like a honda or something. I could save a shit load.

And you must spend most of your time in that car
:freak:

Mileage doesn't scare me too much given the person is a nazi on maintenance, which is hard to find these days as no one really takes pride in their machine- even if it's cheap/expensive.

Also, location and how it was driven. I wouldn't want a 100K ex-police car that sat around idling and going through 0-100 all the time.

A car in a rural area that was mostly freeway, hey thats a deal.

Also, how someone broke their car in. If they're the original owner, ask em how they broke the engine in, if they have a :confused: look, walk away. That ='s rings problems down the road.

• Members

Also, take into account of what the cars mission is.

My mazda isn't a car my kids will learn in, the mission of the mazda is to run that {censored}er into the ground, use it for what it is, then sell it for whatever it gets. It's job is to get me around on great MPG, definitely not a keeper once that mission is over.

If you're buying a car that's for the same, then who cares? Buy it, run it into the ground, wash-rinse-repeat.

• Members

i have a speed3. it's a fast car, but i don't trust it's reliability. mazda has been having all sorts of issues with them.

Speed3 reliability is a little different than regular Mazda3 reliability.

Mazda is actually pretty high (meaning good) on the list in terms of reliability.

• Members

Never had a problem with mine. :idk:

I think the big issue with these lower budget cars, are the people who drive them.

Seriously, on a majority, who buys these things?

Young guys and young women- both of whom don't change oil or any kind of upkeep.

Most car issues aren't from design error or build error. They're operator error.

• Members

How reliable is the protege 5? I was looking at those too.
:o

well, they haven't made the protege 5 in a few years... but i think he had his for... 7 years or so, with something over 200k miles. only service it ever needed beyond normal upkeep was a radiator replacement after about 4 years, and a stuck rear brake caliper recently. he took it in to the dealer for a thorough checkup before giving it to my sister in july, and they couldn't find anything wrong other than an intermittent electrical connection for the passenger airbag sensor, which was like $10 to fix. she's driving it now with no complaints. pretty reliable i'd say :idk: it had a lot of interior vibration rattles and road noise was definitely louder than average, but it wasn't terrible.

• Members

Impreza hatch/wagon? I think you'd get more room out of it.

The impreza's are great, but he wants good gas mileage. My grandpa's 09 get 20-21 mpg's. The Mazda 3 gets more like 30-32.

It's funny, cause my modded wrx get's 24-25 mpg and is fairly quick. Not sure how I am getting better mileage then him.

Archived