Am I being scammed?

Kaz2550

• Members

Right, this guy contacts me to say he wants to buy my guitar and amp. And he sends me a cheque, only it has too much on it. Nearly double what I asked for in fact. So I contacted the guy and he says it's for shipping and I should pay the remaining balance to the shipper by western union. WTF?

There are few confusing things:

- The cheque is actually real. I got the money in my account already.

- Why doesn't he just pay the shipping agency himself?

- If he can afford to pay so much, why is he looking at secondhand instruments? He says it's for his son's birthday. You'd think that he'd buy new stuff for presents.

- His English isn't very good

Am I just dealing with a rich weirdo or a scammer?

• Members

Yeah but the thing is, the cheque already cleared into my account. Why would he do that?

As soon as you lodge the cheque the money "appears" in your account.

The cheque will bounce in 4-5 working days though. The bank will then take the money back out of your account when it bounces and by that time you'll be after sending the scammer the guitar (that he prob doesnt want) and his "change" so he'll get off with your guitar AND your cash while you are left with nothing

I know here if you lodge a cheque that bounces you are left with a

• Members

Thanks guys that was my gut instinct as well. I'll contact the police and see what happens.

About the cheque bouncing; if it does, wouldn't he have to pay the charges and not me?

You'd think that would be the way it would work as thats logical but no, banks prefer to charge the person who was the victim of the bounced cheque for some odd reason. I guess they just like to compund your misery :facepalm:

• Members

SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM.

It is a real check, but the account is a fake. It will take them at least 10 days to figure this out. Once that has happened, YOU will be on the hook for the funds because it was deposited in your account. Thus he will have your guitar AND whatever money you wired him back.

DO NOT DO IT. This is the most prevalent scam going right now.

Contact the police.

Archived