Stiffest Strings?

fabeon

• Members

I like Tite-Fits actually. But I don't notice that much of a difference between those and EB's for that matter, and I'm pretty sure Ernie Ball's are the "loosest".

yeah, I wouldn't say the difference is major. It's just something I've noticed with consistency on my guitars I've used the DR's on.

Honestly, I think the differences between string manufacturers is more placebo effect anyway. I used to be a huge fan of specific brands, I liked EB, then Dean Markley, then Everly. I realized after time that they all sounded pretty much the same, assuming construction type (like Pure Nickel, Nickel Steel, Stainless Steel, etc...) and gauge is the same. Now I buy whatever Nickel Steel string is cheapest, usually Dean Markley Signature Series.

• Members

What gauges do you play? Tension is relative to gauge more than construction.

Well, for my SG I think its at 52-10 right now.

If gauge was equal, which brand has more tension? I've heard people say that D'Addario is known for this but I'm interested in hearing the consensus

• Members

I think I have the EB STHB as well
:lol:

I'm thinking of going for the D'Addario 54-12's

great set of strings until you get to the what is it? 24p? I could be off, but there is a string in their that is just way too out of line, too thick that is. Forgive me if I am confusing these with the Ernie Bizzies Not even slinkies

• Members

I've heard SIT strings are stiffer than most.

Those have got to be the worst strings I have ever played with though. I can't believe ESP puts them on their guitars from the factory but I guess if SIT pays them ESP will use them.

• Members

maybe i got lost or something but why would u want to have a tight set of strings. seems to me everything could be done better with less tension.

Depends on playing technique, tuning and a thousand other factors.

I prefer stiff strings and high gauges, I use these now in Eb:

10299.jpg

But I've been toying with the idea of taking a 7 string set and stringing it up in Eb and just not using the high E

• Members

maybe i got lost or something but why would u want to have a tight set of strings. seems to me everything could be done better with less tension.

For the sake of drop tuning on a shorter scaled guitar.

I LOVE my SG, the only issue I have is the lack of tension in strings when I drop tune. I'm afraid to go for the 56+ gauges because I have a fear they won't be bright enough for me.

Archived