DSL Tone Qustion

mcr23

• Members

Since no one answered my question in the Marshall tone thread :cry::cry:

Can a DSL pull off a Slash tone (sweet child, welcome to the jungle, etc..) or do you need to have a 800/Jubilee setup (or Slash's 2555)?

:poke:

• Members
Since no one answered my question in the Marshall tone thread
:cry:

Can a DSL pull off a Slash tone (sweet child, welcome to the jungle, etc..) or do you need to have a 800/Jubilee setup (or Slash's 2555)?

just get an 800/Jubilee :poke:
for reeelz, they cost about the same:idk:

• Members
Since no one answered my question in the Marshall tone thread

Slash used a caswell modded super trem on appetite not an 800/jubilee/2555. And yes, if you can play like him you can get close enough with a DSL, IMO.

• Members

I think the DSL sounds great with the right cab/guitar/boost. Very versatile too. Seriously though, with a graphic EQ, and an OD pedal, there aren't many tones you can't reasonably replicate. I can't say I've ever attempted to sound like slash, but I'm sure it can be done. I'm also sure that another amp could probably do it a lot better.

I don't know if its just me, but I think they are very picky when it comes to cabs/speakers. I have the DSL 100, and it really didn't sound that great with my VHT fatbottom 4x12, or the Marshall 1960A, but once I got a Mesa oversized recto 4x12, I fell in love with it. Thats strange considering I can't say I've heard many good tones coming out of oversized recto cabs. It's almost like the exaggerated, flubby low end of the OS recto 4x12 compliments the DSL's lack of low end. They even each other out.

I don't even know why I just typed that out. Nobody asked, and it has nothing really to do with your question either.

• Members
I think the DSL sounds great with the right cab/guitar/boost. Very versatile too. Seriously though, with a graphic EQ, and an OD pedal, there aren't many tones you can't reasonably replicate. I can't say I've ever attempted to sound like slash, but I'm sure it can be done. I'm also sure that another amp could probably do it a lot better.

I don't know if its just me, but I think they are very picky when it comes to cabs/speakers. I have the DSL 100, and it really didn't sound that great with my VHT fatbottom 4x12, or the Marshall 1960A, but once I got a Mesa oversized recto 4x12, I fell in love with it. Thats strange considering I can't say I've heard many good tones coming out of oversized recto cabs. It's almost like the exaggerated, flubby low end of the OS recto 4x12 compliments the DSL's lack of low end. They even each other out.

I don't even know why I just typed that out. Nobody asked, and it has nothing really to do with your question either.

I have an Avatar Contemporary 2x12 with Vintage 30 in it. I would like to just say that I agree to the statement about the oversized cab. They seem to compliment each other well.

Here in a couple of days I will have a WGS Reaper HP to put in the cab with one of the Vintage 30s :love:

As far as sounding like Slash, I think if you reside on the green channel you could pull it off pretty easy.

Cole

• Members

What does the voodoo mod do to it tone-wise?

BTW, does anyone know what speakers Slash used?
:confused:
:confused:

More than anything, I'd say clarity and tightness.

Its actually louder than stock DSLs and sounds better at lower volumes.

But clarity under gain is by far the biggest difference. :thu:

I'd buy it back if it were in the budget. :(

But yeah green channel, crunch mode, boosted will do slash tones for sure IMO.

Archived