Boosting a JCM 900 MKIII Gain Master

xnickbeex

• Members

Mine's a 4500, and I use a Boss SD-1 in front, and a Boss GE-7 in the loop. I'd say the GE-7 is more important even than the boost, but with both it sounds HUGE.

word. i'll have to try an eq too, but i was thinking of just boosting. what about a maxon od808?

• Members

word. i'll have to try an eq too, but i was thinking of just boosting. what about a maxon od808?

808 should do the job nicely. Trust me when I tell you, the loop in the 900 is great, and once you put an EQ in there, you'll never play without it.

• Members

I'd say using an EQ in the loop is better. Putting one out front is also useful, but having it in the loop is great!

There is this though, which I want to try...
Super cool, dual boost with one in the loop and another out front of your amp!

-Curtis

interesting pedal, but im not sure it's quite what im looking for... an eq qould be cool but why an eq in the loop over a boost in the front of the amp?

• Members

Mine's a 4500, and I use a Boss SD-1 in front, and a Boss GE-7 in the loop. I'd say the GE-7 is more important even than the boost, but with both it sounds HUGE.

Are you still running 5881's/6L6's with your amp? I also have the 4500 boosted with an SD-1 and have contemplated switching over to EL34's many times. I also need to grab a fish and chips eq as I've heard way too many times that these amps really come alive with an eq. Some have even suggested a bbe over an eq in this case.

• Members

Are you still running 5881's/6L6's with your amp? I also have the 4500 boosted with an SD-1 and have contemplated switching over to EL34's many times. I also need to grab a fish and chips eq as I've heard way too many times that these amps really come alive with an eq. Some have even suggested a bbe over an eq in this case.

Mine's got EL34s. It was modded before I got it.

• Members

interesting pedal, but im not sure it's quite what im looking for... an eq qould be cool but why an eq in the loop over a boost in the front of the amp?

Well, the SD-1 (or whatever you happen to be using for a boost) before the input, is mainly just to add a small amount of dirt, and tighten up the gain a little. It won't add volume, in fact, in many cases, it can actually make your amp sound thinner. The EQ in the loop will add add huge hairy balls to your amp. With a 900, you want to turn the loop level up a bit on the back of the amp. I have the EQ set almost flat, with a slight boost on the two lowest frequency sliders.

• Members

Well, the SD-1 (or whatever you happen to be using for a boost) before the input, is mainly just to add a small amount of dirt, and tighten up the gain a little. It won't add volume, in fact, in many cases, it can actually make your amp sound thinner. The EQ in the loop will add add huge hairy balls to your amp. With a 900, you want to turn the loop level up a bit on the back of the amp. I have the EQ set almost flat, with a slight boost on the two lowest frequency sliders.

ahh i see. well i could definitley use some hairy balls so perhaps i'll try that too! thanks

• Members

I have 2 MXR 108s I was playing with. EQ through the loop was ass and I did screw with the sensitivity screw. The best results I have so far (with more experimentation to go) is Instrument > Tube Screamer > bass-hump shaped EQ > Amp

• Members

The other guitarist in my band has a 900 and uses a TS808 which he is happy with. I'm boosting my 2000 with a MI Audio Blues Pro. I'm not sure what pricing is like O/S but here in Australia they are only a fraction more than a Bad Monkey or SD1 and much cheaper than a TS. It's sounds amazing though.

Archived