Anybody in a band with a horn section?

tlchase68

• Members

I think it would differentiate the band from most other cover bands in a given area. I'd like to find someone who could work out cool arrangements for the obvious songs that already feature horns (Live And Let Die or The Real Me, etc.) and incorporate horn into songs that never featured horns (e.g., Highway Star).

• Members

I worked in horn bands for about 3 years. I quit a couple of years ago, and now gig with a trio.

Horn bands are fun, but also an incredible PITA. Getting horn to rehearse is like herding cats. They tend to see themselves as "hired guns", and don't like to practice. They want to come to the gig and play the charts, then go home. Because of this, the last horn band I worked with payed the horns at a lower rate than the rhythm section.

Charts are generally a must. The horn players I've worked with have been quite good, but have {censored}ty ears. They're worthless without charts.Trumpets are generally worse than saxes in that respect. 'Bones are the worst.

Gigging with horns has its own issues. First, you need a pretty good PA in order to make everything sound good. Your monitor system needs to have at least 2 monitor busses, so the horns can have their own mix, and you can keep the horns OUT of the vocal monitors. The rhythm section has to be very conscious of keeping the stage volume under control as well, or else everything just gets blurry. I used a Deluxe Reverb, and never got the volume about "3".

Also, the sheer size of a horn band eliminates a lot of venues. Small clubs are generally not an option. However, at least around here, the larger clubs don't pay that much more than the small clubs, so get ready to take a big pay cut.

Horns are fun, and everyone should have that experience at least once. I did that, but now I'm done. I'll stick with my trio.

• Members

I worked in horn bands for about 3 years. I quit a couple of years ago, and now gig with a trio.

Horn bands are fun, but also an incredible PITA. Getting horn to rehearse is like herding cats. They tend to see themselves as "hired guns", and don't like to practice. They want to come to the gig and play the charts, then go home. Because of this, the last horn band I worked with payed the horns at a lower rate than the rhythm section.

Charts are generally a must. The horn players I've worked with have been quite good, but have {censored}ty ears. They're worthless without charts.Trumpets are generally worse than saxes in that respect. 'Bones are the worst.

Gigging with horns has its own issues. First, you need a pretty good PA in order to make everything sound good. Your monitor system needs to have at least 2 monitor busses, so the horns can have their own mix, and you can keep the horns OUT of the vocal monitors. The rhythm section has to be very conscious of keeping the stage volume under control as well, or else everything just gets blurry. I used a Deluxe Reverb, and never got the volume about "3".

Also, the sheer size of a horn band eliminates a lot of venues. Small clubs are generally not an option. However, at least around here, the larger clubs don't pay that much more than the small clubs, so get ready to take a big pay cut.

Horns are fun, and everyone should have that experience at least once. I did that, but now I'm done. I'll stick with my trio.

Great post. I was also considering that you probably don't want horns in every song either, I like touches of horns there and there, but my ears get worn out if they are getting blasted constantly. What do the horn players do during a hornless song?

• Members

Great post! I thought there would be sound issues to contend with and attitude is always a question mark with new people!

Maybe it would be better to find players that can pull double duty...Keyboard player and/or second guitarist that plays trumpet or sax.

Archived