daughter of the north

kr236rk

• Members

Hi, kr236rk -- welcome to the HC Songwriting Forum!

:)

This songwriting forum here at HC is a little different than many you'll find across the web. (I'm the forum moderator here, so it falls to me to welcome newcomers and get them in the swing of things.)

The forum's primary roles are discussion of general songwriting issues and workshopping works in progress.

And we set up a special 'institution' -- monthly showcase threads where more or less anything goes -- to give folks a place to promo themselves, post their favorite completed songs, old songs, videos, pretty much whatever doesn't fit in what might seem like narrow forum rules (which you can find in the post in the Guidelines/Resources sticky thread).

So, welcome to the SW forum, stick around and discsuss songwriting issues and give feedback on others works in progress, bring in your own works in progress, and feel free to post more or less anything in the current month's Showcase Thread! (But do take a look at the guidelines sticky, too, which will fill you in on how things work around here. ;) )

"Daughter of the North" -- I make it a point to not really give detailed critique of lyrics unless they're posted somewhere (too easy to mis-hear them and having them listed makes it much faster/easier to absorb them), but what I caught sounded properly moody/medieval/frosty. ;)

Throw some organ in there and the overall musical vibe would be fairly reminiscent of early Pink Floyd. The arrangement sounds like it could use some focusing up. As it is there's a bit of a we're a band, so we're all going to be playing all the way through sort of vibe - which is not necessarily a problem, but a lot of times an arrangement/performance can be given more definition and more pleasing flow when some instruments change up or lay out entirely in sections. It might seem paradoxical, but unity, flow, and shape of a song can often be enhanced by getting more definition into the different structural parts of the song.

Overall, it's an agreeable effort. As a songwriting forum, we're less interested in performance aspects, but I couldn't help feel that this song would benefit from a little overall tightening up of both arrangement and performance -- and maybe a little more attention in the mix to getting better definition. As it is, there's a lot of reverb and things are kind of awash in it. (That said, like long skirt hems, seems like reverb is always threatening to 'come back.' I've been listening to the new Jessie Baylin album and it sounds like someone carefully constructed a sort of neo-Spectorian reverb-pop formula. And, of course, some of the trendy UK outfits have been using a lot of 'verb in recent years. But, shoot, why am I talking about reverb in a songwriting forum? :D )

• Members

THanks Blue2Blue

Oops, sorry, was looking for a 'demo thread' in Harmony & thought 'Songs' was probably the nearest thing to it. Will check out the links you kindly provided. The lyrics are sparse and are inspired by Finnish mythology + some poetic licence:

set sail on stormy waters

scaling the highest mountain

did you see her?

cos she

Archived