Best rack for tube rackmount heads?

• Members

I have 2 rackmount heads I need a rack for. I'm thinking it would be better to get two 4 space racks since they're heavy. Would just a Gator 4 space flight rack work? The only thing I'm worried about is not enough ventelation in them as it's a 5150 and a dual rectifier and they both run pretty hot, 5150 has a fan though so I'm not too worried there. What about the shock racks, are they stiff enough to handle a tube head as these things weigh a ton.

Thanks. :thu: If the 4 space flight cases would work that would be great as they're simple enough.

• Members

It's a Rondo case. It's a giant black cube and it's cheap. I've owned it for about 5 months, and it's left the house three times. Once to an ampfest, the second to the studio and once more so a guy playing at my bar could play through the amp in it now.

Comes with tons of rack screws, zero rack rash and is in perfect condition. I bought it at $220CSD, I'll sell for $150USD + shipping... which shouldn't be much, the thing is super light but super tough...

-Curtis

• Members

I have 2 rackmount heads I need a rack for. I'm thinking it would be better to get two 4 space racks since they're heavy. Would just a Gator 4 space flight rack work? The only thing I'm worried about is not enough ventelation in them as it's a 5150 and a dual rectifier and they both run pretty hot, 5150 has a fan though so I'm not too worried there. What about the shock racks, are they stiff enough to handle a tube head as these things weigh a ton.

Thanks.
:thu:
If the 4 space flight cases would work that would be great as they're simple enough.

Are you going to be gigging these? If you are, you should definitely get the Gator Shock4L rack cases. They will protect the gear from the jarring bumps and slams that happen to even the most babied of gigged gear. That will also solve your problem of air circulation, as the harness for the rails provides for good air flow around the gear.

Alternatively, you could get a typical ATA-style rack with extra room to allow for circulation. If you're not gigging then just get something cheap. It doesn't matter in that case.

• Members

Are you going to be gigging these? If you are, you should definitely get the Gator Shock4L rack cases. They will protect the gear from the jarring bumps and slams that happen to even the most babied of gigged gear. That will also solve your problem of air circulation, as the harness for the rails provides for good air flow around the gear.

Alternatively, you could get a typical ATA-style rack with extra room to allow for circulation. If you're not gigging then just get something cheap. It doesn't matter in that case.

Yeah that's kind of what I figured. I'll be gigging with them for sure. Have you had personal experience with the gater shock cases and know the shocks are built to handle the weight of an amp and are sturdy quality?

• Members

Yeah that's kind of what I figured. I'll be gigging with them for sure. Have you had personal experience with the gater shock cases and know the shocks are built to handle the weight of an amp and are sturdy quality?

I've never owned them if that's what you're asking. But some of the touring bands we gigged with locally used them and they all recommended them. They look like they're pretty good quality. The rubber mounts appear to be decent, and they come with a limited lifetime warranty (no experience with their customer service, so I have no idea what it's like to actually get a claim fulfilled). They're also a bit cheaper than the typical foam-cushioned shock mount cases, but you can't go wrong with those, either.

• Members

will you be touring with them or just gigging locally?

If you plan to do heavy touring with air transportation etc.. you could look into Tour Cases or Anvil Cases heavy duty ATA racks.

If you are just gigging locally or at drivable distances, that's overkill. It better to buy a case that is light and easy to carry while providing adequate protection. When I first built my rack I got a huge 8 space Tour Cases rack but soon realize all I was accomplishing with it was hurting my back and taking up space. I sold it and bought a 6-space SKB rack and it is more than adequate protection for what I do (gigs around SoCal) and much easier to carry.

Don't overbuy.

• Members

will you be
touring
with them or just gigging locally?

If you plan to do heavy touring with air transportation etc.. you could look into Tour Cases or Anvil Cases heavy duty ATA racks.

If you are just gigging locally or at drivable distances, that's overkill. It better to buy a case that is light and easy to carry while providing adequate protection. When I first built my rack I got a huge 8 space Tour Cases rack but soon realize all I was accomplishing with it was hurting my back and taking up space. I sold it and bought a 6-space SKB rack and it is more than adequate protection for what I do (gigs around SoCal) and much easier to carry.

Don't overbuy.

Yeah I might just get two 4 space racks from rondo music. The aluminum ones only weigh 14 pounds each. It's not like my rig is super complex, pedalboard, 2 amps, amp switchers, guitar. Don't have any rack effects or anything. I'd prefer the plastic ones I think but I'd be worried about the plastic warping from the heat of the dual rectifier, you could easily fry eggs on that thing.

Archived