I'm over racks and all that

petejt

• Members

I started getting some rack gear and stereo stuff and running extra cabs and all that, trying to add to my guitar tone and do interesting things, but I find that the more and more I do it, the more I hate it and is a bother.

I did the run two amps at once, run the MarkIV into a stereo poweramp then into 1 cab as stereo, slave it to the poweramp then run two speaker cabs, do the wet/dry/wet thing, do a wet/wet setup, nearly everything apart from bi-amping with frequency splits. But all that didn't really add much and just took away from my tone.

Plus too, when running all those rack effects, especially the big fridge-sized ones, you need those mixers to maintain the signal levels and also I reckon preserve the tone somewhat since the digital effects mess it all up. If you need to do that, those big things ain't worth it.

Just plugging my guitar straight into my MarkIV amp head, and into the Mesa/Boogie 4x12 stiletto cab, is at minimum 90% of my tone. What I found lacking with the rack stuff was that there wasn't that interaction between the amp and speakers, which I've learned is a big key to my sound.

I do like my effects, and a few pedals on the floor is sweet :) .

Although the advantage is to rig 'em all up with MIDI so I can turn them on and off in different combinations and also switch channels etc. on my amp.

Now I just gotta programme it...........

• Members

Programming it is the PITA part, but the outcome is worth it.

I have my DR and 5150 setup in a W/D setup with my Digitech effects unit. It was a real pain to setup, but the tonal outcome was worth the hours spent trying to get them to work together.

• Members
Programming it is the PITA part, but the outcome is worth it.

I have my DR and 5150 setup in a W/D setup with my Digitech effects unit. It was a real pain to setup, but the tonal outcome was worth the hours spent trying to get them to work together.

I though you were just gonna say "cool story, bro" :lol: . I admit though this thread warrants it, as I rambled a fair bit in the opening post.

I guess my point is, the simpler I use my guitar & amp & speaker cab, the more I enjoy the sound. Just straight in.

I began all the wet/dry, wet/dry/wet, different EQ schemes, effects loops, equalising, dual-amp thing because I was trying to get chorusing to work effectively for crunch sounds.
I've found the basic solution to that was a Y-cable and a graphic EQ pedal :idea: .

Chorusing to me sounds way better in front of the amp, than in the effects loop. The loop makes it sound too slick-'80s style & wide which I can't bloody stand :freak: . In front of the amp it's warmer and richer, just needs a slight adjustment :cool: .

Archived