Need help choosing bass strings for Spector Euro 5LX

JoshuaLogan

• Members

Not sure if anyone here will be able to help with this, but what the hell..... copying and pasting my post from another forum:

Okay, so I haven't had my bass for too long and don't play bass too often. It's time to get new strings for it so I can start using it for recording, but I don't know what to get.

I usually just look up what my favorite players use for a particular instrument when I'm unsure what to get.... in this case Alex Webster plays 5 string Spector Euros and he uses DR Hi-Beam stainless steel strings, gauges 45-125 with all strings tuned down a half step. HOWEVER, he plays finger style 100% of the time, and I probably will be playing with a pick atleast half of the time.... so I'm not sure if I should get stainless steel strings, since they might be too bright when playing with a pick. Is this a reasonable concern, or are stainless steel strings the way to go for bass in a metal band?

I usually use D'Addario strings for guitar... 9-42+60 for a 7 string with floating tremolo in Bb standard. The bass is a 5 string and will be in the same tuning. I usually buy strings from www.juststrings.com and looked at the D'Addario strings there for bass and there was some comments saying the strings weren't long enough to be used on a 35" scale bass like my Spector... so, I've hesitated on buying new strings.

What would YOU guys recommend? I will probably use a pick for a lot of the faster rhythm stuff, but will also have tapping sections and a few more clean, jazzy style stuff where i'll probably play finger style with a smoother, cleaner tone. Should I just get the DR stainless steels? Or should I stick with nickel wound... if nickel wound, what strings are actually going to fit my bass?

Sorry, I'm mainly a guitarist... so, excuse the ignorance here. I'm just trying to make sure I don't blow $30 on a set of bass strings that aren't what I want.

Halp!

• Members

You don't play much yet you have a Spector Euro 5LX?? :freak::freak: Damn son!

I only play DR's nowadays. If you don't like the extra crisp-ness of the Hi-Beams (which I do, and play about 50% w/ a pick) then the DR Lo-Riders are a great alternative. Spectors can be a tad bright, so I understand the concern.

I don't like D'Addarios at all. Try out the DR Lo-Riders and see how they sit with you.

For picks I play the Tortex 1.00s.

• Members

You don't play much yet you have a Spector Euro 5LX??
:freak:
:freak: Damn son!

I only play DR's nowadays. If you don't like the extra crisp-ness of the Hi-Beams (which I do, and play about 50% w/ a pick) then the DR Lo-Riders are a great alternative. Spectors can be a tad bright, so I understand the concern.

I don't like D'Addarios at all. Try out the DR Lo-Riders and see how they sit with you.

For picks I play the Tortex 1.00s.

Oh, I can play bass pretty damn well, I think. I just don't play often. I bought the bass used... it's an investment for recording. Thanks for the info.

• Members

Oh, I can play bass pretty damn well, I think. I just don't play often. I bought the bass used... it's an investment for recording. Thanks for the info.

Ha and I meant that in a good way! :lol:

Besides my MTD, Spector 5'ers are like 1c. on my top 3 list. A buddy of mine who I play original stuff with occasionally has a ReBop 5 he records with and it sounds awesome. It's hard to beat Spectors when you're running to tape, so good on you! :thu:

• Members

Ha and I meant that in a good way!
:lol:
Besides my MTD, Spector 5'ers are like 1c. on my top 3 list. A buddy of mine who I play original stuff with occasionally has a ReBop 5 he records with and it sounds awesome. It's hard to beat Spectors when you're running to tape, so good on you!
:thu:

Yup, a lot of my favorite bassists all play Spectors.

Alex Webster from Cannibal Corpse & Blotted Science, Arif Mirabdolbaghi from Protest The Hero, Dan Briggs from Between the Buried and Me, Colin Edwin from Porcupine Tree, etc. lots of guys.

That's why I went with Spector. I just am not extremely knowledgeable about bass strings, particularly what metal bassists use. I understand using stainless steel strings when playing finger style helps give more attack and brightness, but not sure if it'd be wanted when playing with a pick. That's why I was asking.

• Members

Yup, a lot of my favorite bassists all play Spectors.

Alex Webster from Cannibal Corpse & Blotted Science, Arif Mirabdolbaghi from Protest The Hero, Dan Briggs from Between the Buried and Me, Colin Edwin from Porcupine Tree, etc. lots of guys.

That's why I went with Spector. I just am not extremely knowledgeable about bass strings, particularly what metal bassists use. I understand using stainless steel strings when playing finger style helps give more attack and brightness, but not sure if it'd be wanted when playing with a pick. That's why I was asking.

No problem. Also if you're worried about the SS being too bright, how about a set of Nickels? I know the Lo-Riders come in them. I'm not 100% sure on the Hi-Beams.

• Members

Do any of you guys know if you can get the DR Hi-Beams in 40-120 for a 35" scale bass? So far, I'm only seeing 45-125 sets

Yeah they make them. Juststrings.com could just not carry them, though. LR5-40 is the model # for the Hi-Beams.

Archived