About to get a 6505 112. Attenuator options?

soilent

• Members

Okay, I'm pretty sure as soon as I sell my other amp I'm going to get one of these combos. I'm going to use it for gigging and home recording so I need a good, relatively low volume tone. I'm pretty sure I'm gunna go with a Weber Mass attenuator mainly because of price. My question is should I get the MiniMass (50w) or the regular Mass (100w) seeing as the amp is only 60w? I'd prefer to spend less money and go with the 50w, but I'm not sure if that'll work out since the amp is just over that at 60w. Opinions?

• Members

You do not want to use an attenuator with the 6505 112 or the 2x12.. They sound good at low volumes anyway and get most of their tone from the preamp.. BUt if you do buy one, I'd buy it new so you can return it, because trust me, attenuators and these combos dont sound good.. And they arent necessary..

• Members

You do not want to use an attenuator with the 6505 112 or the 2x12.. They sound good at low volumes anyway and get most of their tone from the preamp.. BUt if you do buy one, I'd buy it new so you can return it, because trust me, attenuators and these combos dont sound good.. And they arent necessary..

+100

5150/6505s do not need an attenuator to sound good at low volumes like Marshalls.

• Members

Really? Other members on this forum had me under the impression that 6505/5150 series don't sound too great unless they're until 2-3 on the master. Maybe that's just an issue with the heads 120w heads?

It is more for the heads, but even then its not so true.. I have used the 5150 combo since it pretty much came out and tried 2 different attenuators and they both sucked the life out of the amp.. Just turning down is better by about 100%..

• Members

Really? Other members on this forum had me under the impression that 6505/5150 series don't sound too great unless they're until 2-3 on the master. Maybe that's just an issue with the heads 120w heads?

Get it and try it out first before buying an attenuator. I think you'll be please with the tone at low volumes.

:thu:

• Members

You will be sending or selling the attenuator if you get one. Most 6L6 amps do not gain much from its use. It is not like you are trying to satuarate with the power tubes.

I think this volume issue mainly comes just from the way the speakers and ears work with most modern amps.

• Members

That is true, but with the master at 2 it fits under the category of "bedroom volumes" and it still sounds decent. If you have an effects processor in the loop (I use a G-Major), you can turn down the in/out levels as an impromptu attenuator :thu:

Archived