Trying to lighten my gear! AC50 head into Orange 1x12? How much will tone suffer?

boostedprozac

• Members

I'm trying to really lighten my gear up. I might buy an orange 1x12 cab with a V30 but how much will my tone suffer with the smaller cab? I don't play big shows.. just a few small local venues and a few clubs here and there. I'm tired of luggind around 4x12's. I may end up with a 2x12 but how will the 1x12 sound? Give me your opinions. Thanks!

• Members

Go 2x12, something about two speakers, especially dissimilar ones, in the same box that adds to the depth of the tone. Also, very few speakers sound great in 1x12 cabs to me, Weber 1230-55, and EV12L among them. Seems speakers that don't lose their lowend and sparkle when cranked fair best.

• Members

I work in clubs with a 1x12 a lot, also a 2x12.

I, as you, have gotten away from larger rigs.

I have been using a Diezel Einstein combo 50 watter for the last 3 years. Sometimes I also bring out a 2x12 Diezel cab with G12-H30's in it to plug in along with the combo. If you are not being mic'd and the club is a larger one, pushing more air makes the amp work easier with less outrageous and focused volume from just a single 12" speaker. A 1x12 in that situation will require louder playing levels and may become overbearing by itself.

The day after Christmas, I received from Diezel, a new 30 watt Schmidt head and a 2x12 cab with Tone Tubby Hempcones in it. While I have not had a chance to try out this new 2x12 with the 30 watt head yet, I did try it out with a Marshall 1912 model, 1x12 closed back, ported, Celestion 150 watt 8 ohm speaker I had. The amp sounded glorious, and was almost an exact fit for the size of the head sitting on top of the cab! It will easily be a great setup in most playing and recording situations.

Before going off and buying any amp, I considered every aspect of what I might need, my most likely current needs and of course, tone and amp options available on lower wattage heads. The 30 watt tube amps can get loud and sound really good. They are small and easily fit into most playing situations. Getting a head and small cab can make using it easier if you are in the front of the stage, and your cab is in the back of the stage, as you can keep the head nearby you, rather then leave it back where it is harder to get to, to make changes in your tone or volume levels.

There are more and more smaller 30 watt amps coming out and I believe you will see even more of them after the NAMM this year. It can be the most used amp you will have, if you choose wisely before buying.

While I love my 50 watt Einstein combo, this newer amp is every bit as hot sounding and very flexible in it's options. What really makes it great is that it is a true Class A type amp, and I need no biasing to change to any other tubes I may wish to use, including lower powered 6V6 types for 15 watts.

Take your time when choosing, but I think with the option of a 1x12 and a 2x12 cab, you can cover any playing situation you might come up against.

• Members

if you're worried about it-- use 2 112s. easier to carry, and side by side-- you'll keep the focus of 112s with smaller cabs, and still get decent dispersion, low end, and keep the weight down. you have to work a bit harder to maximize and balance the sound with two different speakers- particularly if they're different FORMAT cabs (i.e. a closed/ported and an open back ) but it's definitely worth the effort.

Archived