JMP-1 vs. Rocktron Piranha

peehoo

• Members

I had a Rocktron Piranha and i FUCKING HATED IT! No redeeming OD/distortion tones in it, Razor - Shrill thin buzzy like tones, it was just a 'presence fest'! Arrrghh:facepalm:

I ran it with a Mesa 20/20 and i sold it within 2 days, it did NOTHING for me. 1of my biggest dissapointments for a preamp. Ive owned at least 6-7 preamps (JMP1, Digitech, Hafler, Line 6, ADA etc)and it would rank last, i really didnt like it, perhaps i had a bad 1 or bad tubes but i sold it ASAP! :cry:

The JMP1 was a decent sunding preamp, i wish it was a lil bigger/meaner/thicker sounding but it wasnt a bad overall tone. I wish it had a *touch more* gain but it was decent - The funny thing is that it sounded better with a Tubeworks Mosvalve poweramp than with my Mesa 20 :confused:

:cool:

• Members

I've owned both.

Piranah - great gain sounds, but terrible cleans. Gain sounds from Judas Priest thru the heavy end were killer. Mid gain tones were lacking as well. Great for thrash and metal, but not mid gain or cleans. Didn't like effects too much either as I recall.

JMP-1 - Liked this unit a lot. killer cleans, nice mid gain tones, AC/DC thru Sabbath or JP, but not much after that. Lacks a little gain for the ultra heavy stuff, but sounds good. Didn't like fx in the loop but everything works well in front of it. Note, when you use a JMP-1 make sure you set the fx loop volume to zero on all patches. Then you hear the true tone of this preamp.

Just my 2 cents........If you want a nice JMP-1 see my sig :thu:

• Members

Thanks for the replies. I actually own a JMP-1 and mentioned it as a sort of a reference so that I would understand better what's the Piranha like.

I read some Piranha reviews and people will say "decent amount of gain", "fairly compressed" or something and I'm clueless... What, compared to a Powerball or a AC30...

• Members

I had two Piranha's before I left my rack system. I really like them. I haven't owned a JMP-1 though so my opinion may be (is?) useless. I switched one tube to a 12AT7 to help with the cleans. Had great gain, and you could EQ just about any sound out of it with that mid freq knob. Always nice to have a HUSH built in too! I'd buy another.

Archived