Power amp Face Off

fallencreations

• Members

If you've ever played a 2150, those 2 power amps although great in their own right, pale in comparison.

:lol:

It's also useful if you want to send scientists into a panic by setting off false-positive earthquake Richter scale readingse :cop::cop:

• Members

I bet some of you would shat yourselves if you heard the Rivera TBR-5. I would say it sounds kind of like the 2150 but has more lows and mids, and it can take EL34, 6L6, 6550 and KT88, a total of 8 power tubes with 160 watts per channel. I have a NOS TBR-5 I'm getting ready to sell, once I take some pics.

Also, shameless 2150 FS plug http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?p=38294116

• Members
I bet some of you would shat yourselves if you heard the Rivera TBR-5. I would say it sounds kind of like the 2150 but has more lows and mids, and it can take EL34, 6L6, 6550 and KT88, a total of 8 power tubes with 160 watts per channel. I have a NOS TBR-5 I'm getting ready to sell, once I take some pics.

Also, shameless 2150 FS plug
http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?p=38294116

Your ad says 100w per side. Doesn't 2150 stand for 2x150w? :cop:

• Members

I appreciate everyone's input. I was hoping that people may have had experience with these 2 particular power amps though. I understand that the Mesa Strategy 500 and VHT 2150 are generally considered the kings of power amps, but I am not looking for something that large and heavy. So based solely on the Mesa 2:90 and VHT/Fryette 2/90/2, which is better?

• Members

there is no "better" between these 2. They're both very high quality power amps. It will all depend on your personal preference. The VHT is tighter and more focused. The Mesa is smoother and crunchier. You really need to play both decide for yourself.

Thank you. If that is the case I believe that I will probably prefer the VHT if it is tighter. I realize that it would be better to try both. Unfortunately I don't have that luxury currently and will have to base my decision from other peoples experiences.

Archived