(T)NCD - Engl content, pics included

monkeysuit

• Members

(Temporary) New Cab Day that is. I did a for now temporary trade of my VHT Fatbottom for an Engl XXL. I really love the VHT with the Cobra but it didn't work that well with the Herbert so I was looking to get a cab that sounds better with Herbie even if I have to sacrifice some of the Cobras awesomeness through the VHT.

The Engl XXL was definitely not what I wanted but as the owner doesn't live too far away and agreed to a temporary trade that gets cancelled if one of us isn't happy I thought why not.

I now am the proud owner of what must be one of the worlds heaviest halfstacks with the Herbert weighing 29kg (63lb) and the Engl cab 63kg (138lb). So far I have to say I definitely prefer it to the VHT with the Herbert that just seems to love V30s but due to its huge amount of bass it's also not the best cab for the amp.

The real surprise came when I hooked the Cobra up to the XXL. I expected not much as the Cobra generally doesn't like V30s too much and also I expected muddy boomy bass but not at all. I don't know why but it sounds even more aggressive and pissed through the Engl while losing some of its dryness that was dominant with the VHT cab. Bass response is still tight as hell though.

I still have to use the cab in a band setting but for now chances are good that I'll agree to the trade. The owner of the Engl wanted something different for his Rivera KR-7 and also seemed pretty happy as the P50Es transport the raw dry sound of the KR-7 way better than the V30s.

Here's my current setup.

p10002442.jpg

And two pics from our little ampfest yesterday ;)

p10002322.jpg

p10002312.jpg

• Members

Hey sort of off topic, but did you play the KR7? What did you think of it compared to the Herbert?

Sure I played it but didn't tamper with the settings much. From what I heard it is the complete opposite of the Herbert. While the Herbie is rather saturated and compressed with tons and tons of gain in Channel 2+ and 3 the KR-7 is as dry and raw as it gets. From the basic character I found the Rivera more similar to a VHT Pittbull but with a different voicing.

I was really surprised as I somehow expected over the top gain from a Slipknot signature amp but not really. Well it has plenty of gain but due to the dry voicing it doesn't really show.

If you're unsure whether to get the Rivera or the Diezel see if you can play them as they are completely different beasts, each great but different.

• Members

I agree about the looks, I prefer the VHT there but it's alright. I'm relly curious how the Cobra will sound with it in a band setting. Valuewise the trade was pretty much straight (I'm in Germany)

My neighbor played his Cobra through a Celestion V30 loaded Carvin Legacy 4x12 and it sounded amazing. Tight cutting and just monstrous. Through a Recto cab with V30's it sounded deadened and muddy though.

• Members

My neighbor played his Cobra through a Celestion V30 loaded Carvin Legacy 4x12 and it sounded amazing. Tight cutting and just monstrous. Through a Recto cab with V30's it sounded deadened and muddy though.

That's my experience with the oversized Mesa cab as well though I never played a Cobra through one. That's why I was unsure about the oversized Engl but that's a completely different cab for sure. Nowhere near as muddy in the bass..

Archived