Need advice: buying used cabs

mikelitzguitar

• Members

If you're buying a decent cab, pop off the back and make sure the speakers are what you think they are. I cracked open a used Carvin Legacy cab at a Music Go Round once to find that the stock Celestion V30s had been replaced with some no-name speakers. The sales people had not checked when they bought it, and were not happy, to say the least, that their $450 cab was now a $225 cab.

• Members

Seriously - just look at it and listen to it. Does it look good, does it sound good? Apart from that, just be aware of differences between certain brands. You can get that simply by looking at reviews and whatnot.

this.

You're going to be the best judge in the situation. If you can, take your amp to play through the cab. How does it sound? Does it sound like it compliments your amp well? How well is the construction, does it feel like a cheap pile of garbage, or is it real heavy and built like a tank? And how does it look? If it's missing tolex all over the place, it's been beat up for a while. If it doesn't have any tolex tears or dings, it's probably just sat in some kids basement while having no stress put on it.

I think in your last thread we went over brands to watch for, but that can also depend a lot on your price range. I would recommend staying away from those Marshall MG cabs, anything that is "undersized," things like Line 6 and other cheap brands. Be patient and watch for something like a Marshall 1960, or watch for Avatar or Lopoline cabs, those can be had for cheap and are great quality. Randall cabs almost always can be found for real, real cheap, and their construction is awesome from my experience.

• Members

Seriously - just look at it and listen to it. Does it look good, does it sound good? Apart from that, just be aware of differences between certain brands. You can get that simply by looking at reviews and whatnot.

This is great advice. I mean, if it sounds good (and doesn't look as though it's going to fall apart if you move it), it sounds good. My advice upthread is geared more towards making sure you don't lose your ass on resale.

• Members

This is good advice. Though I'll never admit it in real life, I once tried a B-52 cab I thought sounded good for the $. :lol:

• Members

If you're buying a decent cab, pop off the back and make sure the speakers are what you think they are. I cracked open a used Carvin Legacy cab at a Music Go Round once to find that the stock Celestion V30s had been replaced with some no-name speakers. The sales people had not checked when they bought it, and were not happy, to say the least, that their $450 cab was now a $225 cab.

this. i traded a guitar one time to some local dirtbag in a "christian rock" band called "sozorocks" or some stupid {censored} that he assured me had vintage 30's in it- so i believed him since he appeared to be "all about the lord" and whatnot lol-- well i got it home to find it loaded with some cheap ass crate speakers. he refused to trade back of course.

• Members

this. i traded a guitar one time to some local dirtbag in a "christian rock" band called "sozorocks" or some stupid {censored} that he assured me had vintage 30's in it- so i believed him since he appeared to be "all about the lord" and whatnot lol-- well i got it home to find it loaded with some cheap ass crate speakers. he refused to trade back of course.

just because you're into "the lord" does not mean you are a decent, trustful person.. Not that you don't now know this.

• Members

just because you're into "the lord" does not mean you are a decent, trustful person.. Not that you don't now know this.

yeah i know. i was just saying he seemed like an honest guy so i took his word and got screwed. this is why some people who sell/buy things are assholes. because they get screwed once and have to assume everyone is out to rip them off from then on. kind of like life in general :lol:

• Members
yeah i know. i was just saying he seemed like an honest guy so i took his word and got screwed. this is why some people who sell/buy things are assholes. because they get screwed once and have to assume everyone is out to rip them off from then on. kind of like life in general
:lol:

lol yeah.

to OP - ALWAYS take the back off the cab. You're not offending anyone by doing so. I remember the first time I did when I bought one of my mesas a long time ago, I felt like it was a slap in the face as if I didn't trust the guy, especially because it did have all the right speakers, but no one's going to be offended. You just can't always trust people these days.

• Members

Haha well obvioulsy I know to see if it looks and sounds good, but the advice about popping off the back to make sure they are the original speakers, and making sure sound comes from all 4 speakers is exactly what i needed to know! Thanks guys! I found a couple marshall 1960's and a carvin legacy on my local craigslist all under $450 so i think I'll check them out.

• Members

I think in your last thread we went over brands to watch for, but that can also depend a lot on your price range. I would recommend staying away from those Marshall MG cabs, anything that is "undersized," things like Line 6 and other cheap brands. Be patient and watch for something like a Marshall 1960, or watch for Avatar or Lopoline cabs, those can be had for cheap and are great quality. Randall cabs almost always can be found for real, real cheap, and their construction is awesome from my experience.

Ya we did, I was talking to a friend who was going to sell me a Marshall MG412... thanks to everyone in that thread for advising against it!!

And I'm hopefully going to check out a marshall 1960 and a Carvin Legacy in the near future... $400 to 450 is a good price for either of these amps, right?

• Members

lol yeah.

to OP - ALWAYS take the back off the cab. You're not offending anyone by doing so. I remember the first time I did when I bought one of my mesas a long time ago, I felt like it was a slap in the face as if I didn't trust the guy, especially because it
did
have all the right speakers, but no one's going to be offended. You just can't always trust people these days.

Haven't you heard the phrase..."In God we trust.....all others pay cash." Same logic applies.

• Members

And I'm hopefully going to check out a marshall 1960 and a Carvin Legacy in the near future... $400 to 450 is a good price for either of these amps, right?

In good shape with original speakers, yes, that's a fine price. Having said that, they're two very different sounding cabs due to the speakers, so try both if you get a chance, preferably with your own guitar and head.

• Members

Ehh.. yes/no depending on condition. The Carvin's definitely are. As far as the Marshall's, they are worth about that much (in the right condition), but can be found for cheaper if you know how/where to look. Most of them on the 'bay are about that price, but they all seem to be in good condition. Basically, I wouldn't pay $400 for a marshall that's beat to {censored}, and I would rather pay $450 for a mesa than a marshall (which can be found, but again, takes patience).

• Members

Like's been said. Pop off the back and take a peek. Make sure the speakers look good (no rips, tears, repairs) and are the speakers that are supposed to be there, make sure it's all wood (no MDF sides, baffle, or back), make sure all the wires are good and no solder joints look shoddy or broken, and finally play the {censored} out of that thing at epic volume to make sure it doesn't sound like anything is blown or wired wrong (out of phase sound).

Archived