Randall RT2/50 Power Amp - Who can tell me.....

rlord1974

• Members

Hey:

I'm embarassed to be asking this question :facepalm: , but after some time spent Googling and my apparent inability to find the answer (or the product manual) on my own, here goes.....

Can someone explain to me exactly how this power amp works? That is, does it:

a.) allow you to switch between the 2 sides of the power amp (6L6 vs. EL34), but each has to run into a separate cabinet (i.e., you are only using one cabinet at a time); or

b.) allow you to use a single cabinet and switch between the 6L6 and EL34 sides of the power amp. If this is the case, I imagine there must be some dummy load built-in to the power amp to absorb output from the tubes not being used at any given time?

Maybe an even easier way to explain my question...

Can I run a single speaker cable out of the power amp into a single speaker cabinet and still switch between the 6L6 and EL34 tubes, or do I have to run two separate speaker cables out (one for each side of the power amp) into two separate speaker cabinets?

Thanks for clearing this up for me!

• Members

Short answer, There are two modes of operation.

1)in switching mode you have the option of either:

a.Hooking up one cab to the channel 1/primary output and when switching between each channel of the amp, the output will go to one cab, realizing your inquiry about switching between EL34/6L6 with one cab.

b.Hooking up two cabs (one to channel1 and one to channel 2) then the output of each channel will go to it's respective cab...you might want to do this to match say EL34s with a Greenback cab and 6L6s with another cab...

2) In the other mode (stereo) you must always have both outputs connected to a load as each channel outputs to it's respective output.

• Members

OK. Based on the above and reviewing the product manual (thx, NixerX), it would seem it will do what I want it to do (i.e., switch between the tube types while only using a single cabinet in mono operation).

Now, the bigger question.....

What are your opinions on the RT2/50 (e.g., sound quality, power output, etc.)

I'm thinking of replacing my Marshall 9200 with it to power an Egnater M4.....am I crazy?

Thanks!

• Members

I've heard the Marshall is a good power amp but never heard one....so I dunno.

The RT2/50 is a great amp...many over at RT (where you posted the Q also) have given up VHTs for it..if not just for flexibility but because they prefer the Randall.

I owned two but couldn't get used to the difference in feel from a rack setup to the heads...not my thing I guess.

Archived