talk me out of an engl fireball, please

getglockd

• Members

No, they're {censored} built German amps that cost alot because of the import duties. Peavey builds a nicer amp quality wise.

The PV 6505 & 6505+ are about the same build quality as most Engls. All mass produced tube amps have gone way down in parts & build quality over the past few years. If you want something nice, it will have to come from a smaller builder, and will cost you.

PS: the FB 100 would be my choice. The 60W is fine, but definitely puts out less volume.

• Members

The PV 6505 & 6505+ are about the same build quality as most Engls. All mass produced tube amps have gone way down in parts & build quality over the past few years. If you want something nice, it will have to come from a smaller builder, and will cost you.

PS: the FB 100 would be my choice. The 60W is fine, but definitely puts out less volume.

I guess it depends on his application for it. If he's just using it as a recording/home practice amp..it's would probably work out great for him.

If he wants to use it as part of his live rig then having never played a fireball in a band setting I can't comment from experience on that.

• Members

No, they're {censored} built German amps that cost alot because of the import duties. Peavey builds a nicer amp quality wise.

i really dont understand why it matters so much to some of you if the build quality isnt boutique...the tone is still great who cares what it looks like inside.

• Members

I guess it depends on his application for it. If he's just using it as a recording/home practice amp..it's would probably work out great for him.

If he wants to use it as part of his live rig then having never played a fireball in a band setting I can't comment from experience on that.

^^^^ This. That's all I use mine for and it works great. However if you plan on playing out alot, the volume might not cut it. 9 o'clock on the Blackmore is about the same as 12 on the Fireball.

• Members

i have, i didnt think the peavey cut any more then the fireball. I dont understand the love for peaveys in here, well apart from the classic's but they are a different page.

• Members

i have, i didnt think the peavey cut any more then the fireball. I dont understand the love for peaveys in here, well apart from the classic's but they are a different page.

I love both Engls and the 5150 line. They each get tones that I like without much fuss.

• Members

i really dont understand why it matters so much to some of you if the build quality isnt boutique...the tone is still great who cares what it looks like inside.

I used to drag my complete rig out twice a week for gigs for 4 years. Stuff gets banged up.

When you have board mounted pots and jacks the amp's going to have a useful life before those joints start to get sketchy. It's just the nature of the beast and everytime you plug into that jack or move the amp it's going to flex the joint just a bit and weaken it.

That's why I typically buy amps that are setup like most boogies where all the jacks and controls are hooked to the main board with flying leads, or even with my Mark V they're hooked to little sub-boards that are free-floating and then hooked to the main board via leads.

It's just a different way of doing things that'll result in much longer service life but requires alot more hand work in building the amp.

So again, if you're doing what I used to do until 7 or 8 months ago and gigging at least once or twice a week your stuff gets banged up. Additionally you don't want your amp crapping out so reliability trumps ultimate toanz...

That being said, I prefer the Mark series amps much more anyway.

Archived