John Mayer vs Buckethead

mcmurray

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

ok, here's the thing.

Buckethead, it could be argued, is a more technical guitar player and he writes perhaps more intelligent music. However, its all based around the guitar. You wouldn't listen to bucketface and think that the drummer is amazing. He doesn't write with other instruments in mind.

I think thats the thing that sets Mayer apart and makes him a better musician. His arrangements are bigger picture and not just about licks. You know his bass player, and his drummer because they have the arena to stand out. Also, his music is steeped in history and merges old and new, it's more clever and conversational. He'll do something and it's like, oh yeah, thats a nod to Jeff Beck or Scofield. Much bigger picture.

Also, buckethead is actually Mark Tremonti. just fyi

• Members

You wouldn't listen to bucketface and think that the drummer is amazing. He doesn't write with other instruments in mind.

Depends entirely on the album in question. Take "Octave of the holy innocents" for example. Michael Shrieve is on drums and it is amazing. Likewise whenever Brain is playing drums on his tracks.

Also his recent compositions are totally about the bigger picture, live drums or no live drums. It's not licks over a backing track like some of his earlier work.

I see your point though, most of Bucket's stuff has a drum machine or programmed drums as accompaniment.

• Members

Depends entirely on the album in question. Take "Octave of the holy innocents" for example. Michael Shrieve is on drums and it is amazing. Likewise whenever Brain is playing drums on his tracks.

Also his recent compositions are totally about the bigger picture, live drums or no live drums. It's not licks over a backing track like some of his earlier work.

I see your point though, most of Bucket's stuff has a drum machine or programmed drums as accompaniment.

still, its a weird comparison. it just depends on what you want to listen to, or play.

• Members

I just discovered Buckethead. Not that I didn't know about him, but I never listened to his music before. Then I read an article about how great a guitarist he was. So, I checked him out. I was intrigued by the silly KFC bucket, which apparently has been changed to another plain bucket.

Anyway, the dude is a technical master in terms of his physical abilities. He seems to have a unnaturally long pinkie finger, which makes some of his gymnastics possible. Yet, I don't care how fast the guy can shred, his music sounds like a loosely connected series of bings and tings, not really making much sense. It's not bad, it just isn't very pleasurable in my opinion.

JM is good, but he is really obsessed with playing like SRV. Not a healthy outlook.

Out of the 2, I'd have to pick JM simply because he knows how to convey music to an audience better than Buckethead. Take the tub off, and poof, gone. Famous because he's an oddity, for sure, IMO.

• Members

Yet, I don't care how fast the guy can shred, his music sounds like a loosely connected series of bings and tings, not really making much sense. It's not bad, it just isn't very pleasurable in my opinion.

There's more to him than that.

Try this;

[YOUTUBE]oUWCd3WA3ZY[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

If you don't like Buckethead, you haven't heard Electric Tears as an album, Colma, or you haven't heard selected tracks off of Crime Slunk Scene, such as King James, or Soothsayer.

King James is my all time favorite Buckethead song, and Soothsayer is like a canvas on which Buckethead uses all his available sonic textures. That song literally has everything you could want. Harmony, crazy runs, shades of light and dark; you name it, it has it.

• Members

If you don't like Buckethead, you haven't heard Electric Tears as an album, Colma, or you haven't heard selected tracks off of Crime Slunk Scene, such as King James, or Soothsayer.

King James is my all time favorite Buckethead song, and Soothsayer is like a canvas on which Buckethead uses all his available sonic textures. That song literally has everything you could want. Harmony, crazy runs, shades of light and dark; you name it, it has it.

Needs moar blast beats.

• Members

Don't be a {censored}.

Irony, considering you don't know what any look like not on a computer screen.

So, your ability to identify a {censored} is severely limited.

Ergo, you cannot call me a {censored}.

You {censored}.

Oh, and blast beats blow.

• Members

I'm gonna rape you.

If you weren't 50 pounds of muscle lighter than me, and much less angry and attention starved than I am, I would consider that a threat.

As it is, I'm just going to treat it like I would treat a 45 year old ugly woman with herpes that wants to have sex with me.

Complete and utter scorn.

Archived