Fender Princeton Reverb: Best amp ever?

New Trail

• Members

I have a 70's Princeton Reverb that I had to mod a lot from stock to sound good myself. First of all I think the PR has a design flaw in the circuit of the phase inverter. It's just underpowered and doesn't need to be. I have a theory that the original designers of the amp didn't want it to compete with the Deluxe Reverb so they set the voltage tap off the rectifier tube to a weaker one. There's a simple modification for this called the "Stokes mod" that moves a wire off the rectifier tube and it opened up a world of improvement for my amp. More headroom and the cleans are now tight and fantastic. The overdrive went from a mushy phase-canceling sound to a nicer focused presence. I did a few other mods like changing the tone stack caps slightly, replaced the 10" speaker with a 12" Jensen C12N, reduced the reverb tube to one with less gain and a few other tweaks. The result is my favorite clean souding amp. It beats out my Deluxe Reverb reissue there.

The DR seems to have a slightly better overdrive...and I have to say that if

I could have only one amp, it would probably have to be a DR....but the clean sound of my PR is a perfect harmonic tone for lead guitar work. I really need to put up clips of that sound.

Archived