Newbie Needs Help!

jpozz

• Members

Hey folks! I don't post, but I am highly dependent on HC forums as my primary reference for guitar/amp tech info. Usually I find what I need without starting threads, but I just got new amp fever and I need help.

I was piddling around my favorite used gear store and came across an old Music Man 410 HD amp. I remember MM as the hot lick in 70's, before Mesa conquered the world. Fever started to set in...rational self says don't trust my uneducated eye...so....here's the deal...

I didn't plug in because I want be serious about buying the thing (ie have money in my pocket) before I play loud in a music store, make lowball offers etc. The speakers are MM, the price is $699, and I have someone I can take it to for a tune-up. Am on to a good vintage amp, a good deal, or run for the hills?

Thanks in advance, john.

• Members

Go play it loud or whatever and trust your ears. I went into a store about ten years ago to buy a Fender Hot Rod Deville (I had heard some good things about it), played one didn't like the dirt channel at all so for kicks I played a DRRI which at the time I would never seriously consider since it didn't have a dirt channel...but the damn thing sounded so excellent I ended up returning everyday for about a week and finally bought it.

My ears knew what I wanted and I had to ignore the opinions of others. Of course I later learned that the Delux Reverb is the most recorded amp in history and is the go to amp for blues and work in smallish clubs.

keep bumping your thread to get some input.

• Members

Thanks for the input.

I remember Clapton, Knopfler, Little Feat and others having piles of these things on stage and I just wanted to check to see if there was an "Oh no! the other MM's were great, but the 410 HD's..."

I'm planning on offering $500, after I play 'Enter the Sandman' and 'Stairway to Heaven' at 11.

• Members

Thanks for the input.

I remember Clapton, Knopfler, Little Feat and others having piles of these things on stage and I just wanted to check to see if there was an "Oh no! the other MM's were great, but the 410 HD's..."

I'm planning on offering $500,
after
I play 'Enter the Sandman' and 'Stairway to Heaven' at 11.

I wish I knew something about this amp I could help you more.

You will hear what you are looking for and you will know if this amp has it or doesn't, good luck.

If the guys you mentioned like this amp then that certainly say a whole lot to me, might be the deal of a lifetime.

I go by what I see onstage much more than what I hear them recommend, they get paid for endorsements, but what the use on stage is personal preference.

• Members

Go to the reviews section and read up. Most MM's are Hybrids and are not liked as much as SF Fenders. The earliest ones were designed by Leo and Tom Walker from Fender. The ones I've heard are loud and clean. The 65 and HD 130 are the most storied and respected MM amps. They are a cheap alternative to a SF Fender twin. Personally I'd rather spend the $500 on a SF Fender, but that's just me.

• Members

I've got a '75 Pro Reverb that I like to plug into both channels with a 'Y' cable (as an aside, am I hurting the amp by doing that?), and a MIM Blues Jr. that I like to tinker with, swapping speakers, tubes, reverb units and the like, so it kind of comes down to me trying to learn about amps and amp sounds late in life.

I didn't realize that MM's were not as desireable or considered cheap alternatives. All in all, this is exactly the kind of info I was looking for.

I think I'll go plug the thing in today and, if I like the sound, I'll thin the herd and offer a guitar swap for it.

Thanks.

• Members

Price seems a bit high. Go play it, and if you like it...make him an offer.

I try not be a douche about making lower offers. But I'll say something like...well, I have 500 bucks cash right now....interested? If he says no....well...okay thanks bye.

See if you can get a hit on eBay "completed listings" search.

Archived