MESA DC-5 what's it like?

dunnoaname

• Members

The DC series really has it's own voicing which falls somewhere between Mark and Recto. Really great cleans and a nice OD channel that is easy to dial in. It's not super saturated and sounds excellent boosted. The graphic EQ is foostwitchable whic makes the amp pretty versatile. I had a DC-10 that I sold after I bought a Mark IV. FWIW I miss the DC-10 and regret selling it but I don't miss the Mark IV very much.

• Members

The DC series really has it's own voicing which falls somewhere between Mark and Recto. Really great cleans and a nice OD channel that is easy to dial in. It's not super saturated and sounds excellent boosted. The graphic EQ is foostwitchable whic makes the amp pretty versatile.

This just about sums up my feelings for it as well, I've had my DC-5 for years, the clean channel to my ears is fantastic, and you can get really crisp or really fat cleans out of it, and the graphic EQ really helps.

The OD channel isn't as extreme as a recto but isn't far off and does a good enough job and ,as LithiumZero says, it responds really well to a boost pedal. I like a modern boss DS1 in front of it to "sharpen" up the sound.

I've never ever thought about getting rid of mine :)

• Members

How does the DCs compare to the F series?

They're a little more rock voiced and less fizzy.

The DC's are awesome amps. I just sold one because I had too many amps laying round the house and my Mark V covered much of the same ground and what it didn't my Marshall did. That being said, the DC is one of those great all around gigging amps. They'll do all sorts of musical styles well and they're dead nuts reliable. I've had two over the years and both were bombproof.

• Members

I've been wanting an F-50 for a while now (bought one 2 years ago, but arrived damaged, so I've been wanting a working one ever since). Someone just suggested I look into the DC-5. I haven't found many clips online at all, but here's what I have found as far as specs...

-Great Boogie Clean channel

-Great Boogie Gain channel (more mark series voiced than recto)

-Gain channel can be set to either rhythm or lead mode

-Graphic EQ footswitchable, and assignable to all or one channel

-Speaker Simulating recording output

-Good FX loop

This review had a few soundclips attached to it that I really liked.

http://www.jemsite.com/compare-guitar-amplifiers/Mesa-DC-5-1X12-combo/reviews/

Basically, I have been gassing for an F-50 for 2 years, and within 5 minutes, my gas shifted 100% over to the DC-5 instead.

-

• Members

I've been wanting an F-50 for a while now (bought one 2 years ago, but arrived damaged, so I've been wanting a working one ever since). Someone just suggested I look into the DC-5. I haven't found many clips online at all, but here's what I have found as far as specs...

-Great Boogie Clean channel

-Great Boogie Gain channel (more mark series voiced than recto)

-Gain channel can be set to either rhythm or lead mode

-Graphic EQ footswitchable, and assignable to all or one channel

-Speaker Simulating recording output

-Good FX loop

This review had a few soundclips attached to it that I really liked.

Basically, I have been gassing for an F-50 for 2 years, and within 5 minutes, my gas shifted 100% over to the DC-5 instead.

-

Pretty much.

It's funny. I could easily dial in about 95% the same sounds on my DC as I could my Mark V. The only thing missing was the discrete 3rd channel and just the last little bit of that amazing 3D mid thing the Mark series have going on which is a function of running in on triode which the DC lacks.

If I had the ability to cop the simul class vibe I'd have kept the DC over the Mark as IMO it's probably the best gigging amp I ever owned. The footswitchable EQ gives you essentially 3 channels and it's voiced differently than a Mark so you don't need the EQ to cop great tones.

Make sense?

Archived