1x12 combo tube amps

shredrick

• Members

Ok I'm downsizing my gear got rid of old rack stuff and a head. I decided to go with a small combo tube amp and need a little assistance in choosing one. It needs to be high gain and have at least 2 channels, effects loop and a line out. My budget is limited to $400

I have a few in mind if you guys can suggest others please by all means let me know.

The ones that I chosen so far are as follows

B-52 AT-112

Peavey Ultra 112

Kustom 36 coupe

• Members

Your just a few hundred dollars away from being able to step up to something a lot better.

$600, would get you into a used Mesa F30 or DC3 if you look around.
A used Carvin Legacy Combo if you can find one, or a used 5150 combo.

I would even go for a Marshall DSL401 combo above the ones you have listed, which you may be able to find for $500, or under.

• Members

Peaveys are built like tanks for one.

My Ultra Plus head I had was a great head that kept up with other heads double its price.

So are you saying the other two products are inferior to the Peavey? And have you been an end user of the B-52 or the Kustom?

• Members

Your just a few hundred dollars away from being able to step up to something a lot better.

$600, would get you into a used Mesa F30 or DC3 if you look around.

A used Carvin Legacy Combo if you can find one, or a used 5150 combo.

I would even go for a Marshall DSL401 combo above the ones you have listed, which you may be able to find for $500, or under.

The Dsl doesn't have enough of the right kind of gain I'm after, the 5150 sounds really buzzy to me and bassy, not after that. Haven't heard the legacy as of yet or the mesa's. I hate a really loose or flubby tone for the lower notes, it always seems there's some latency. Actually I like the sound of the 52 the most, except it could sound a little to dry sometimes {maybe a speaker change}.

Would really like to have about 20 or 30 watts at the most

but it's hard to find that power rating.

• Members

The Dsl doesn't have enough of the right kind of gain I'm after, the 5150 sounds really buzzy to me and bassy, not after that. Haven't heard the legacy as of yet or the mesa's. I hate a really loose or flubby tone for the lower notes, it always seems there's some latency. Actually I like the sound of the 52 the most, except it could sound a little to dry sometimes {maybe a speaker change}.

Would really like to have about 20 or 30 watts at the most

but it's hard to find that power rating.

You think it's hard to find 30 watt combos? Have you looked?

• Members

I would suggest the Peavey Ultra, because it is simply the kind of tone I'm after.

these, of course, are heads, but maybe this will tell something...

For my needs, it's just so damn hard to beat the Peavey. YMMV.

[YOUTUBE]TFw7U1PzIN8[/YOUTUBE]

edit: If you want 20-30 watt combo, try the Peavey Bravo. Amazing amp.

• Members

Out of those, the Ultra 112. I like the Kustom too but it doesn't get as heavy as the others.

However, I'd suggest looking out for a Peavey Prowler instead. It's 45 watts all tube, awesome clean, awesome distortion, reverb, footswitchable volume and gain boosts, and can usually be found even cheaper than the Ultra.

I {censored}ing love mine lol; I have clips if you are interested.

Archived