C/C++ programmers, come on in

Uncle_Milton

• Members

You can find that on the web too.

I spend quite a bit of time on the codeguru forums. The guys who try to learn from the web or just by modifying code don't do so well. There's a whole lot of fundamental stuff you really need to know that's really hard to pick up if it isn't presented to you in an organized way, and in a way that's tailored to your IDE and the types of apps you're trying to make. That's especially true if you're writing Windows apps. That isn't something you just jump right in to.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/ has been around for ages and is a solid first tutorial on the fundamentals. It demonstrates the subjects with simple console programs and is very easy to follow whether you have any programming experience or not.

I would keep it basic to begin with and just use a text editor and a command line compiler and work through the tutorial above. It's best to get core concepts clear, and simple, in your mind to start with.

You can download Visual C++ Express for free. It comes with a command line compiler, linker and other tools. It installs a shortcut for a Command Prompt, run this and you can do a basic compile of your file(s) like this: cl filename.cpp -- and then run the program like this: filename

Learning how to use the IDE, setting configuration options, etc. is a whole other task in itself. So, I would leave that to begin with.

• Members

Lol, the thread came back; I thought it was dead. Thanks for all the direction guys. I'll probably try out most if not all of the tutorials you've suggested.

Whoever made the suggestion of just reading what the the C compiler in Matlab is doing, that works pretty well.

As far as knowing I'm in the correct language, C C++ and C# are all actually languages I'll have to deal with, (all variants of the same thing yadda yadda yadda). Unfortunately we have to deal with other people's custom machines and software and modify them or interface with them, a lot :rolleyes:. No java yet.

Archived